cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010R3 - Bar code Labels

Nuri_Inuki
Level 4

Will Backup Exec automatically update its database with new bar code label information if I switch out the label on a tape?

For example, if I have a tape that is labeled with 000001 and I've used it for a backup.  Then replace the label of that tape with say R000001 and have BE inventory it.  When I go to do a restore, will it know to ask for R000001 instead of 000001?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I would be cautious about re-labeling tapes if they are not going to be overwritten soon.  I think you will run into user confusion if the media label on the magnetic tape no longer matches the human readable bar code.

When a tape is relabeled and then overwritten, the new bar code number will be written to the magentic tape.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

BE will read the barcode (to a maximum of 15 characters), so yes, your setup will work and BE will recognize these two tapes separately.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH61914

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I would be cautious about re-labeling tapes if they are not going to be overwritten soon.  I think you will run into user confusion if the media label on the magnetic tape no longer matches the human readable bar code.

When a tape is relabeled and then overwritten, the new bar code number will be written to the magentic tape.

Nuri_Inuki
Level 4

Is the new bar code number only written to the magnetic tape during an overwrite process, or can it do it during an inventory?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Inventory is read-only, so it doesn't write to the tape in any way.

An Erase, Label or overwriting backup would put the new bar code on the magnetic tape.

lmosla
Level 6

It is a best if you are relabeling a tape to completely erase the tape so that it is like a new tape with a new label. 

So to best retain the data on your tape, you should run a duplicate job to disk, then erase the tape, change the label, inventory the tape with the new barcode label and then run another duplicate job from disk to tape.  Make sure you catalog and inventory again to make sure Backup Exec associates this data with the tape.

Nuri_Inuki
Level 4

Thanks for the tip. We don't intend to keep the data, so I'll probably just wipe it and then put a new label and remove the old label from the catalog if it's still there.