Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012: A Failure occurred querying the Writer status

jc-pro
Level 4
Partner

Hi all,

BE2012 is failing on my Daily Exchange Incremental backups with the following error:

V-79-57344-65233 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "\\servernamehere\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot technology error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Waiting for backup complete notification (5).

I've tried to re-register the VSS writers based on info in this article but it's still not working: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70486

I don't think the problem is with my VSS writers because a full backup on Exchange takes place without a problem, it's just these incrementals.

Does anybody know where I can start troubleshooting it?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jc-pro
Level 4
Partner

I was able to solve this by recreating the backup jobs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

After your incremental backups, what is the result when you issue "vssadmin list writers" in a command prompt.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi After registering vss dll ,still if the writers are waiting for completion and are not in stable state. Then you can ensure windows is fully patched up. Restarting the server would help you to temporally bring the writers in stable state. So summarizing this if writers are not stable, you can look for MS forums to resolve this issue as it wouldn't be a Backup-exec issue. Thanks

Lesta_G
Level 6

Are you running SEP as an anti virus on the server? If so, you need to uninstall it and reboot before doing some of the regsvr commands as it interferes with the restart of the COM+ service

when running the batch file in the technote , run it in a command prompt or put a pause at the end of the batch file so you can scroll back and check everything was registered correctly. You must ensure all the specified services have stopped. On restart of services check event logs for errors

Did you do a system state backup as instructed in the technote?

If you run VSSadmin list providers , how many providers are listed?

Try this solution

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940184

On a 64 bit OS some of these may error and the DLLs are in the syswow64 directory, just change the path to point the correct location

jc-pro
Level 4
Partner

I was able to solve this by recreating the backup jobs.