cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 Agent for SAP (EOL)

mnh
Not applicable

Hi everyone

Today, I read in the Software Compatibility List of Backup Exec 2012 that the Agent for SAP has reach end-of-life and is no longer supported with BE2012 (page 48). On the other hand, there is also a note that SAP is supported by BE Server 32-bit and 64bit (page 33-35, Symantec and 3rd Party Software Compatibility 64-bit and 32-bit Interoperability). Unfortunately, I'm a little confused now. Can anybody tell me if there will be a possibility to backup and restore SAP systems with BE2012 (in a similar way it was possible in BE2010)?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Agent for SAP and Agent for Solaris will be disconntinued in BE2012.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What is your database for SAP, MS SQL or Oracle?  In BE2012 you will need either option to backup SAP.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The SAP database can be spread over a couple of databases,  Using either the SQL or Oracle agent will not backup the SAP database as a logical whole and when you restore the individual databases, you may end up with an inconsistent SAP database.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

@mnh - As previously advised, SAP is not supported in BE 2012.  The BE 2012 SCL needs to be cleaned up.  The fact that SAP is not supported in BE 2012 is re-inforced by page 76 of the BE 2010 SCL which states that it will not be supported in the next release of BE.

BE 2010|2010 R2|2010 R3 Software (SCL)

Also, see this reply to an Idea

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/agent-sap-64-bit-os#comment-5609631

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Interesting, this question was asked of Symantec in a recent webinar for BE2012 - the answer was to use either the SQL or Oracle agent.  Something I am going to have to follow up with them.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If the SQL or Oracle agent is sufficient to backup SAP, why is there a SAP agent?  Likewise, Sharepoint is based on SQL Server, but you need a Sharepoint agent to backup a Sharepoint farm.