cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 BEngine.exe not responding on Differential backups

Triven
Level 4

Hi All,

I have backup Exec 2012 SP4, only hotfix installed is:  Hotfix 217347.

I've created a new backup job that runs a full backup on a weekend and then Differentials during the week

The full backup runs fine without a problem. The differentials however take up to 20 hours to run and even then the job fails.

Error i receive is:  

Backup- \\SERVER.domain.local\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage GroupV-79-57344-862 - The Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange was not used to create the last full backup of this database.  You must use the Exchange Agent to run a full backup before you run a differential or incremental backup.

V-79-57344-915 - Unable to complete the operation.  The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-528 The current log file is missing. '

Backup- \\SERVER.domain.local\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage GroupV-79-57344-862 - The Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange was not used to create the last full backup of this database.  You must use the Exchange Agent to run a full backup before you run a differential or incremental backup.

V-79-57344-915 - Unable to complete the operation.  The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-528 The current log file is missing. '

When i check in event viewer i get the below message regarding the BEngine.exe service: 

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "SERVER") (Job: "SERVER.domain.local Backup 00001-Differential-Meta Data Index-Catalog 00208") SERVER.domain.local Backup 00001-Differential-Meta Data Index-Catalog 00208 -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.

While this Differential backup is running the BEngine.exe process causes the Physical Memory to sit at 99% / 100% which in turn causes the server and Network to perform extremely slowly. Extremely frustrating.

Server has been rebooted, Backup job has been re-created, All updates applied.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If running any AV, do ensure it is set to exclude from scanning the BE processes.

If Advanced Open File option is enabled for the Exchange backup, disable it and rerun the full backup followed by the differential.

Do you run backups of Exchange using the native backup utility or any other backup software ?

And on the BE server, pls ensure the value of UseTrueImageBackup is set to 0 under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Backup\

Triven
Level 4

Hi VJware,

Thanks for your reply.

I've excluded the following folder from Sophos AV:  C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec

We also have live vault but i've now adjusted the time on both Live Vault cloud backup and the BE Differentials so there is no way of clashing (They shouldn't have clashed before as i expected differential backup to run in a couple hours at the most).

Advanced Open File option is not enabled anyway.

I dont have this reg key in this location. Shall i create it?

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If the Exchange machine is a VM, did you run any VM backups between your full and incremental backup

VJware
Level 6

Yes, this key can be created.

Triven
Level 4

Added this DWORD reg key. Awaiting tonights results.

Colin_Weaver

If Live Vault is an Exchange replication or backup process outside of Backup Exec then please be aware that you almost certainly cannot run this process in between the full and the differential and typically the error you quoted is expected if the Live Vault process affects log orders or is seen by Exchnage as a backup process.

A valid Exchange order would be

Live Vault --> BE Full --> BE Diff --> BE Diff --> Live Vault --> BE Full --> BE Diff --> BE Diff --> etc

However these tqo orders would be invalid

BE Full --> Live Vault --> BE Diff

BE Full --> BE Diff --> Live Vault --> BE Diff

Basically the Live Vault process would have to be followed by a BE Full before any diffs can run.

Nishant_p
Level 4
Partner Accredited

,If job is running with GRT based so tried to run the without GRT , also try to run backup on disk not to the dedup.

If it possible please share full job logs