cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 Cannot backup powered-off VMware VM

EOS58
Level 4

I am running BE2012 SP1.  I am unable to backup a powered off VMware Virtual Machine.  The job will error stating "Could not connect to the vCenter server or ESX server. Please verify the credential supplied for login."  If I test the credentials for the particular VM while it is off it will fail with "unknown, test recommended."  If I power up the VM and test the credentials it will complete successfully.  I cannot backup this server while it is powered up.  I have made certain I have ticked the option to backup powered off VMs in the backup job.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

EOS58
Level 4

Tech support determined that it was a problem with VMware VCenter server that was migrated from BE2010-R3.  The old server referenced the IP address of the VCenter server.  They created a new server using the FQDN and installed the Windows agent on the VCenter server.  I am now able to successfully backup a VM that is powered off.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I think you would be able to backup vmdks for that VM, but the GRT feature will not work unless the VM is powered on.

Look in Backup job properties for a check box related to backup VMs that are powered off.

EOS58
Level 4

I've made sure the backup powered off VMs option is checked.  I am still unable to backup the VM.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

could you please post the job log. Also, try to see if there is any restore data available for the VM, there wouldnt be GRT, but see if you can find the .vmdk files for restore.

EOS58
Level 4

Tech support determined that it was a problem with VMware VCenter server that was migrated from BE2010-R3.  The old server referenced the IP address of the VCenter server.  They created a new server using the FQDN and installed the Windows agent on the VCenter server.  I am now able to successfully backup a VM that is powered off.