cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 Catalog Error - (catalog'ing BE2010R3 tape), Encryption Key cannot be retrieved

MadAsToast
Level 3

Greetings All,

I am experiencing issues cataloging a tape, the tape was created using BE 2010 (r3), issue being with the encryption key not being found.

I set up the key correctly (I created the original installs so the key is definitely correct). However BE2012 keeps slinging out "The encryption key required by this set (Key Name: BLAH) cannot be retrieved........" etc. (see attachment - Alerting for Key & Key in Situ)

I have raised a call with support, hoever the recommended "fix" was to install SP3, this might fix the issue, however as it requires a change process this end, I figured seeing if anyone else experieced this would be a great start as I wont get the upgrade approve this week.

Any comment/help would be great.

Chris

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I would stick with the Symantec recommendations on this to be honest. Otherwise just wait till you can get Change Control to do the restore after restarting the server.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The pass phrase might have been entered wrongly. Delete the encryption key and let BE prompt you for the pass phrase

lmosla
Level 6

Here is the Technote explaining your issue and the solution (upgrade) to help validate requesting the upgrade http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH200810 

MadAsToast
Level 3

thanks for the comments.

Imosla, you hit the nail on the head I had found that article, however the fix is in SP2 (which we ARE running) so one assume that the fix didn't apply to cataloging, just to restores.

I will naturally upgrade to SP3 anyway, but wanted to check if anyone else had encountered the issue and knew of a fix.

I will keep this thread updated for completeness when I do find a fix etc, so should anyone else experience this they'll have a solution.

Chris