cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 - Cleaning Tape detected a Scratch Media

RCPAQAP
Level 3

Hi all,

I have purchased some new Cleaning tapes, and some labels for them.

The problem is that Backup Exec 2012 detects the tape ok, but assigns it to the "Scratch Media"

media set. I have set the slot to be a Cleaning Slot, but it still looks like it is treating the tape like a normal LTO5 tape.

I'm thinking my issue is due to the labels.

They have the following number sequence: C00001L5 to C00020L5

I asked for Cleaning tape labels, so maybe these are not the correct ones?

Trying to look into this, I found that it might be because there is no rule set up for the Label code specified above.

I tried to add a rule, and entered:

New-BEBarCodeRule -mediatype "CLN" -barcodeprefix "C"

but it didn't seem to work. I have run both a Scan and Inventory on the Slot itself and the Library.

Any ideas?

Are there more commands I need to run to get the rule to be enabled?

Do I have to restart the services?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Those don't appear to be correct. Depending on the vendor of the tapes, they should have CLN in the serial number which correctly identifies them as a cleaning tape. Check this with the supplier.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Barcode rules are used to ensure that the wrong type of tapes are not used for the wrong tape drive. They are not used the way you use them. The only correct way to identify a cleaning tape correctly is to use the correct format in the barcode label. The labels that you have used for your cleaning tapes mean that they are LTO5 tapes. You got to check with your tape library manufacturer as to what the proper format for a cleaning tape label is. For example, for HP tape libraries, the cleaning tape barcode label is in the format, CLNxxxL1 where xxx are any alphanumeric characters. You can either buy the correct barcode labels or make them yourself. See my article below https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-barcode-labels-why-and-how

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Those don't appear to be correct. Depending on the vendor of the tapes, they should have CLN in the serial number which correctly identifies them as a cleaning tape. Check this with the supplier.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Barcode rules are used to ensure that the wrong type of tapes are not used for the wrong tape drive. They are not used the way you use them. The only correct way to identify a cleaning tape correctly is to use the correct format in the barcode label. The labels that you have used for your cleaning tapes mean that they are LTO5 tapes. You got to check with your tape library manufacturer as to what the proper format for a cleaning tape label is. For example, for HP tape libraries, the cleaning tape barcode label is in the format, CLNxxxL1 where xxx are any alphanumeric characters. You can either buy the correct barcode labels or make them yourself. See my article below https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-barcode-labels-why-and-how

RCPAQAP
Level 3

Backup Exec would need to be able to read a label, then determine from that label what type of tape it is.

Those rules would have to exist somewhere.

Are you saying that there is no way to overwrite those rules?

I've tried to make my own labels previously, and it brought my whole backup system to its knees.

These labels I purchased from the same place as I purchased the tapes, so obvioulsy they have sent me the wrong ones.

I am very hesistant to purchase new labels, as I think it is daylight robbery asking $2.50 per label.

But, if there is no way to overwrite rules, I guess I am stuck and have to waste more money.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is not BE that needs to interpret the barcode labels.  It is the library.  Hence each manufacturer has its own format and you should be able to get this format from them.