cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 - Dedupe store errors

ikmit
Level 4

A full backup job of a 1TB+ file server to Deduplication Storage Folder is failing with error:

Backup- \\SOLA-FIL2\D:
Storage device "Deduplication Storage Folder:1" reported an error on a request to rewind the media.
Error reported:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.
V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.
V-79-57344-33861 - The media operation was terminated by the user.
Storage device "Deduplication Storage Folder:1" reported an error on a request to write a media loca...
Error reported:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.
V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

When inventorying the store, I get errors for 4 OST-objects:
Inventory Device 00139 -- Media Label: OST00001232-458951E0ECAB24AC -- A backup storage read/write error has occurred.

If the storage is tape based, this is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive.  Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again.  If the problem persists, try a different tape.  You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues.

If the storage is disk based, check that the storage subsystem is functioning properly.  Review any system logs or vendor specific logs associated with the storage to help determine the source of the problem.  You may also want to check any vendor specific documentation for troubleshooting recommendations.

Same message for:
OST00001232-458951E0ECAB24AC

OST00001393-458951E0ECAB24AC

OST00001393-458951E0ECAB24AC

OST00001414-458951E0ECAB24AC

In previous versions I guess I could have right clicked each of these, chosen "restore" to see what data resided in them, and then erased the media, how can I do this now with the new media management model for disk based storage?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ikmit
Level 4

Support found that much of the dedupe store was corrupt, so I duplicated what I could to tape and deleted the dedupe store to recreate it from scratch.

I now get errors when trying to recreate it. Have given up on dedupe for now and am running backups to standard disk storage in stead, much more robust and by far faster restores.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Check and see if encryption isn't enabled as per the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130444

Also make sure that BE 2012 is updated...there are a couple of patches that have been released. MIght be worth you getting these.

Thanks!

ikmit
Level 4

Thank you

Encryption is not enabled

Checked for updates, but LiveUpdate did not find any. I have never received updates with LiveUpdate after installing BE2012.
The "Installed Updates" window shows "None"

ikmit
Level 4

Is it possible to find out what data is on these "OST's" and delete them? Or just delete?

ikmit
Level 4

I have created  a support case for this

Case # 416-554-435

CraigV

...great, and once you solve it, put that in the query here and then close it off. Would help others for future reference smiley

mikedoh
Level 3

Any update on this ?

Petr_KASL
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Any update?

ikmit
Level 4

Support found that much of the dedupe store was corrupt, so I duplicated what I could to tape and deleted the dedupe store to recreate it from scratch.

I now get errors when trying to recreate it. Have given up on dedupe for now and am running backups to standard disk storage in stead, much more robust and by far faster restores.

CraigV

@mikedoh & Petr: Please rather PM the OP...just keeps the forum cleaner. wink

CraigV

...so you've got 1 of 2 choices:

1. You keep your current call open with Symantec, or reopen it and tell them you can't create your dedupe folder.

2. Tag your issue onto this query, or open a new one on Connect.

That said, have you verified there are no drives that have failed, or are in prefailure?

Thanks!

ikmit
Level 4

No disk failures

I have an open case with support, but I haven't found time to take this further as I have backups running to disk-storage now.

I can close this thread as I don't know when I'll get around contacting support again, I'm just happy my backups are working :)