cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 Error Backup Exec could not log on to the server with the logon account specified for it

longryder
Level 3
Partner Certified

Hi,

I have just rolled out a new BE2012 backup environment with 1 x CASO and 2 MMS (Managed Media Servers). The backup client environment is a vSphere 5.0 u1 infrastructure with windows 2003 / 2008 VMs. I am using the SAN transport method for backup and this works reliably. GRT is enabled for some of the clients and has a mixed success rate.

However backups run for 24-48 hours and then stop working and we see a slew of errors "Backup Exec could not log on to the server with the logon account specified for it" The closest TECH note I can find is http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH201649.

I have an Enterprise Support case which is under review.

I would be keen to understand if anyone else has encountered this problem or indeed if this behaviour might be symptomatic of another underlying problem. Some of the RAWS for some of the clients were upgraded from 12.5 to 2012 via push so not sure if this is also an issue ?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts / viewpoints.

7 REPLIES 7

Vasilis_Peppas
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I assume you are reffering to a physical backup server and virtual machine backups with grt. Have you ever had a sucsessful backup? 

longryder
Level 3
Partner Certified

Vasilis,

Thanks. Yes correct. Physical backup server backing up to a de-dupe folder image-level backups via vStorage API (SAN Transport method) The SQL GRT backups have never worked however this may well be a client issue / OS VSS issue and needs more attention. The file-level GRT backups have been successful for the most part.

Have you seen the above intermittant issue ?

cruisen
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi longryder,

you need to run the service utility you know with the green arrow on the gui and then readd the credentials that you use to loggon, after that it will recreate the entries and you should be able to get your backup on Vm ware done. Use the BE service acount credentials there. Check with the active directory user.

Best regards,

Cruisen

Vasilis_Peppas
Level 4
Partner Accredited

have you noticed if this happens with a specific guest or is it random? have you tried running the backups as clients (normal file or batabase backup) to see what happens? 

also check this out 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH194999

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH180964

longryder
Level 3
Partner Certified

Cruisen,

Thanks. I checked with support to see if they thought this might resolve the issue and whilst the error does report that Backup exec cannot logon with the credentials provided the support team indicated this was not an underlying authentication problem. Thanks again for the suggestion.

longryder
Level 3
Partner Certified

Vasilis,

Thanks. No I havent tried LAN backups the SAN transport method has been reliable and we are seeing throughput of 5-7 GB / minute. Thanks for the other links. 180964 Hotfix is installed along with all other HS.

The failure is total. The services for the MMS stop and then you have to restart all the client agents to get backup running again. This is an intermittant problem.

Thanks.

OP
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I've had the same issue - and all the time it happened a reboot of the be media server solved the problem.

If you could find a "real" solution - please let me know.

Regards

Olaf