cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 Exchange restore mechanism

nicnictout
Level 4

Hello,

i haven't any trouble, but i would like to know if womeone as enough knowledge of the product to explain some mechanism about Exchange restore.

The only way for me to work in my environment is to restore to a PST file, but i wonder, how BE works to extract only single items, and create this PST.

Does it create a temporary database and then extract items? The recording mechanism during backup allows BE to directly retrieve the desired items, and it copies theses to our PST? Any others tricks i don't imagine... :)

Thx for making lights to my tenebrous brain ;)

3 REPLIES 3

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

nicnictout
Level 4

Hi,

no it doesn't help me so much, i clearly understand the process to restore an item in a PST file, now i would like to understand, what are the hidden mechanism uses by BE to do the job.

I'm an administrator and i like to understand how it's works, and if possible without looking inside manufacturer script to understand what and how the soft works.

I know that my question is quite strange and requiere a very good knowledge of the product, there is very little chance i found a document about it, that's why i ask to Symantec employee and experts :)

Thx anyway for help

BanksyMJ
Level 4
Employee Accredited
When performing an Exchange restore, the relevant .EDB files is staged temporaily on disk. Information for restore is then extracted directly from this .EDB file. Because BE catalogs the contents of the Exchange IS on backup it know exactly where to go to restore the indivdual item you require, be it a mailbox or single email