cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[BE2012] How to change path of disk storage

SG
Level 4

Hello,

The IP of my NAS I'm using as "Backup to Disk" destination changed and I would simply like to change the path of the destination pointing to that new IP:

21-06-2013 08-11-56.jpg

BUT within the properties of that Storage in Backup Exec 2012 I can't adapt the IP as the "Path" seems to be read only. sad

Is there any possibility to change this?? I assumed that should be very simply but it doesn't seem to be...

Thanks in advance,
 SG

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Once the Disk Storage has been created, the path cannot be changed.

However, you can do this since the backup sets are going to be at the same physical location, except the IP changed.

Delete the Disk Storage from the UI & delete the changer.cfg & folder.cfg files from the physical location. Recreate the Disk Storage from the UI providing same name and keeping other info same except the path. The new Disk Storage gets created & you can still access the existing backup sets.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) In the Storage tab, delete the Disk Storage.  Don't worry.  This will not delete the backup sets in the Disk Storage.

2) Create a new Disk Storage using the new IP address.

3) If necessary, do an inventory and catalog on the new Disk Storage.

SG
Level 4

Thanks guys for your fast responds! That worked even if I had to delete some duplicate jobs first as I got some error message "The duplicate backup sets template in this policy does not have an associated source template". But finally got it fixed even though I thought it would be simple to change the IP but this required some work... wink

But I have one more question regarding this:

In earlier Backup Exec versions I was able to see the associated BCK files from the "disk storage" and could e.g. move them to "Retired Media" before deleting them on the disk storage directly using the Windows Explorer (I needed to do the very rarely).

21-06-2013 09-08-43.jpg

Within BE2012 there's no possibility anymore to create a Media Set for disk based storage (only for tape storage).

So how can I see in my case if the new disk storage I created still contains the "old" bkf files? And what do I need to do in case I need to clean up my target disk storage? Should I simply delete the bkf files there with the Windows Explorer? How will BE2012 react??

Best regards,
 SG

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

BE 2012 uses DLM to manage backup sets on a Disk Storage. This blog should help you ~ https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/data-lifecycle-management-be-2012

pkh
   VIP    Certified

So how can I see in my case if the new disk storage I created still contains the "old" bkf files?

You can display the backup sets using the procedure in this document

How to enable or display Hidden backup to disk or Disk Storage (BKF, IMG, OST) media in Backup Exec ...

Note that is for debug purposes and the backup sets should be hidden as soon as you are done examining them.

And what do I need to do in case I need to clean up my target disk storage? Should I simply delete the bkf files there with the Windows Explorer? How will BE2012 react??

No.  You should not delete the .bkf/.img files from Windows Explorer.  You should go to the Storage tab, right-click on the backup set and select delete.  BE will then delete the backup set from both within itself and from the disk.