cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 Old B2D IMG folders taking up space on HDD

paulta
Level 4

Hi,

I've recently run out of space on the Back-to-Disk HDD and am looking within the B2D folder. There are some folders...ÍMG001394', ÍMG001395' etc that are from three weeks ago when the backup retention period for the B2D jobs are only 6 days. We do however have duplicate to tap jobs which have 'media set: keep data for 3 weeks'. When I look into the jobs and the backup sets I can't find any B2D sets older than 6 days. Basically I want to be able to find out what jobs those IMG folders refer to, why they are there and why BE isn't deleting/overwriting them.

Many Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is no way to turn off DLM. If they are not listed as backup sets when you click on the disk storage then you can delete them manually. I doubt they will be deleted by BE if they are not listed in the console

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

When you perform a GRT backup, we store data in such folders.. That enables you to restore individual files/folders/applications from within a Virtual Machine, if you are doing a VMware backup, or individual emails restore if you are backing up Exchange and we have various other applications for which we can perform such backups. 

Now, regarding the deletion of data backed up, we have a Data LifeCycle Management cycle that runs every 4 hours and reclaims such media which has expired, with an exception of not reclaiming the last set for a particular resource.. Say, you backed up C:\ of a system 5 times and all of them are now expired since "6 days" for all those sets are over, we will reclaim only upto 4 sets and leave 1 there, just in case you would wish to restore from that later. 

This article here talks about DLM in somewhat detail:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH187957

Thanks

paulta
Level 4

So as we have 3 weeks as the tape retention period for Exchange then some recovery data for these is kept in the B2D folder to allow 3 weeks worth of GRT recovery - Is tha the case?

Thanks for the TECH187957 link, that explains it well.

Cause #1: Currently (which I will change) It's set to run a full backup every week day to Disk and keep it for 6 days. This means there are no incrementals to keep. Some full backup jobs have failed over the last six days. Does that mean that backup exec keeps at least 6 full successfull backup sets and also retains the failed backup job sets? It does mean that any data from three weeks ago shouldn't be there unless the point I made above is true.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
What is on tape has no bearing on how the disk backup sets are kept. I don't think the failed backup sets are kept. As for the full backup sets, as they expire, they would be groomed, except for the very last backup set which is the last recovery point and by default would be kept even though it has expired. Your very old .img folders are probably inadvertently left undeleted by DLM. You can delete them

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It would depend on what was the error in failed job.. If it did go as far as catalogs are built, the sets would stay... Check backup sets tab to determine if you have the sets.. If yes, you can also look for their expire time.. And, we will retain only the last (latest set) and rest will be cleared by DLM.. 

And yes, we manage only disk backups and tapes sets remain there forever unless a backup is run again on that same tape and we recognize the sets as expired based on retention policy.. So, to sum up, DLM does not manage tapes.

If there are some left over IMG folders, most likely you would see backup sets corresponding to them.. You should not be attempting manual deletion of those folders unless absolutely necessary. If you are at Backup Exec 2014, apply SP1.

paulta
Level 4

I'm using BE2012 and have applied SP4.

I've checked the backup sets for the disk storage and they only go back to the 02/10, so nothing there that references the IMGxxxxx folders from the 19/09.

How can I find out what references the IMGxxxxx folders which are from three weeks ago, where they are regiustered in Backup Exec and how I can delete them? The .bkf files are fine and only go back 6 days/jobs. I can't see why the old IMGxxxx folders would need to be kept for DLM reasons when I have six days of full backup jobs....perhaps if some of the last six jobs didn't complete successfully I guess - although they should still be listed in the storage backup sets shouldn't they? Just trying to get visibility of everything that is needed and kept by BE.

Thanks again for your input.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The only way to trace which jobs created these folders is to check whatever job logs that you have. Beyond that, you just got to assume that they are orphaned and just delete them manually. If you don't feel safe doing this yourself, then log a support case and let the Symantec engineer handle this

paulta
Level 4

Great, I've found the folders which were created by an older job so at least i know what they are related too but I still can't cleaning remove them via Backup Exec as they aren't listed as backup sets. I suppose it's either turn off DLM, delete manually or wait for another backup job or two to complete if I have the space.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is no way to turn off DLM. If they are not listed as backup sets when you click on the disk storage then you can delete them manually. I doubt they will be deleted by BE if they are not listed in the console