cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 - Replacing OS and backup media disks

marcop82
Level 3

Soon we'll be removing the four 1TB disk RAID5 array (GPT and NTFS) which has the OS partition and media partition on it, from an HP X1400 G2 solution. Windows Server 2008 R2 with Backup Exec 2012 SP4 installed, no SAN, NAS or tapes at this time.

We'll be using four 3TB disks to replace the current four 1TB disks for primairy media storage and use the 1TB disks in a NAS to use as a secondary media storage. The HP X1400 G2 only has 4 HDD bays so we need to replace the disks all at once. Replacing a single disk, rebuild, repeat might also work but I'm not sure this will allow me to expand the volume when done.

The most logical way to do this to me seems to make a Windows Server Backup image on a 3TB WD NAS we have available, so we can replace the disks, use the Windows Server install DVD and start the recovery using the Windows Server Backup image on the NAS. Then when everything is up and running, I can expand the volume from the 2.7TB to the 8.x TB. It is no issue to halt backups until then, we are not in a production "time is money" environment.

Is this going to cause problems ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If your disk configuration does not change, then BE will not be affected. The underlying hardware does not matter

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This question is not appropriate for a MS forum. BE is not involved in any way during the migration

marcop82
Level 3

I'm not worried about the hardware configuration but about Backup Exec's software infrastructure dealing with the upgrade. I've read issues about VSS troubles regarding these kinds of upgrades, but I've not found anything conclusive on the steps I'm going to take if this will effect any backups and the library at all.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If your disk configuration does not change, then BE will not be affected. The underlying hardware does not matter