cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012: Restore from incomplete Backup

AITMGT
Level 2

Hi there:

Recently we had a client with a server that crashed overnight while in the middle of their backup. They were running Backup Exec 10. They utilize Backup To Disk (B2D) on external media.

We put in a temporary 2003 Server with Backup Exec 10 on it despite the backup not being complete it was able to catalog it and show us data that could be restored (and red marks on the ones that could not). This server is so incredibly slow that any restore job brings the server to a crawl. Restoring large amounts of data from here is not an option.

A new SBS 2011 server has been installed on the network. Backup Exec 2012 for SBS has been installed. I have imported the external drive as a Legacy B2D. I then perform an Inventy/Catalog but it always fails with this:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084ca - The data being read from the media is inconsistent.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33994

and

Catalog- \\SERVER1A\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in Backup-to-disk folder 0001.

V-79-57344-33994 - The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

I have reviewed the link they recommend but none of them seem to apply to our scenario.

How can I get the partial data seen on the new server so I can restore?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

1. Enable the Backup Exec 2012 console to display the hidden Backup to Disk media by creating and setting the ShowHiddenMedia registry key to a value of 1 decimal. See Related Document (TECH179265).

2. Open the Backup Exec command line utulity BEMCLI and issue the following command:

BEMCLI>Set-BEBackupExecSetting -UseStorageBasedCatalog $false

3) To catalog one peice of Backup Exec to disk media issue the following command:

Example: To Submit a catalog job for the disk media named B2D000001

BEMCLI>Get-BEMedia B2D000001 | Submit-BECatalogMediaJob | Wait-BEJob

Example: To Submit a catalog job for mutliple disk media

BEMCM>Get-BEMedia b2d* | select -first 1 | Submit-BECatalogMediaJob | Wait-BEJob | Get-BEJobLog

4) The catalog job may fail but generate catalog(s) or restore selections based on the media specified.

NOTE: After the catalog or catalog jobs it may be necessary to update the catalog index to populate the restore selection.  This can be achived by restarting the Backup Exec services

Let me know if this helps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can't because the backup is not complete so it is useless.  As you can see, you cannot catalog it.  Without a catalog, you cannot do any restores.

AITMGT
Level 2

I feel your statement that the "backup is useless" in not true.

Using the older/slow server I was able to catalog the backup and access the items that did get backed up succesfully. It's just too painfully slow doing it on this older server that the one application running on there comes to a hault.

There is lots of good data that was backed up, just missed the end of the of backup. I'd love to restore all of the items that did get backed up that night so that the office will only lose 1 day of work in a very small portion of their entire dataset.

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

1. Enable the Backup Exec 2012 console to display the hidden Backup to Disk media by creating and setting the ShowHiddenMedia registry key to a value of 1 decimal. See Related Document (TECH179265).

2. Open the Backup Exec command line utulity BEMCLI and issue the following command:

BEMCLI>Set-BEBackupExecSetting -UseStorageBasedCatalog $false

3) To catalog one peice of Backup Exec to disk media issue the following command:

Example: To Submit a catalog job for the disk media named B2D000001

BEMCLI>Get-BEMedia B2D000001 | Submit-BECatalogMediaJob | Wait-BEJob

Example: To Submit a catalog job for mutliple disk media

BEMCM>Get-BEMedia b2d* | select -first 1 | Submit-BECatalogMediaJob | Wait-BEJob | Get-BEJobLog

4) The catalog job may fail but generate catalog(s) or restore selections based on the media specified.

NOTE: After the catalog or catalog jobs it may be necessary to update the catalog index to populate the restore selection.  This can be achived by restarting the Backup Exec services

Let me know if this helps

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What is the advantage of using BEMCLI to catalog the media vs. using the GUI?  Isn't the underlying process the same?

AITMGT
Level 2

I made the adjustments as you recommended. I was able to see the Media Tab. I restarted the BE Services. I wasn't able to see my mailboxes for restore but was able to see the entire databases. I attempted to run the restore on the entire database to a folder path but that failed.

We've located another Server 2003 box that we are going to put the old Symantec on and restore from there.

Thanks for your help.

BE_KirkFreiheit
Level 4
Employee

Yes -- currently BEMCLI has less functionality than the GUI, but for operations they are both able to perform, the underlying process is the same.