cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 Scheduling Unlock Job

thomas_itbh
Level 3
Partner

Just found out that scheduling a Unlock Job of a Robotic Library is not possible anymore.

Is there a workaround for this? Our employees are changing the tapes on their own (only have access to the autoloader, not to the backup exec server itsself). This won't be possible anymore if there is no workaround.

I already found out that I can submit the Unlock Job via a PowerShell command - but I can't set up a post-command on a tape-job. Only on a HDD job!

frustrating.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) For BE 2012, the library is not not locked during a job, so you should be able to open the library without an unlock job.  You just have to make sure that your library is unlock once.

2) Normally, you should schedule your unlock job to occur just before the start of the work day.  You can use Windows scheduler to trigger the BEMCLI unlock cmdlet.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Thomas,

Check pkh's solution on the same question on the link below:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/scheduling-unlock-job-be2012

Thanks!

thomas_itbh
Level 3
Partner

See my post

"I already found out that I can submit the Unlock Job via a PowerShell command - but I can't set up a post-command on a tape-job. Only on a HDD job!"

CraigV

That doesn't make sense. When are you trying to unlock the library? After the job runs? Symantec is towards more command line as it is seen as more powerful (as do lots of other vendors), and the solution above would allow you to schedule an unlock job through Windows scheduler at a time when it is most appropriate.

thomas_itbh
Level 3
Partner

So when is a unlock of a tape library most appropriate? When the last tape job of the day is finished.

Not based on any time or whatever. 

CraigV

FOr me personally I would schedule it for when there are people on site. If they get there @ 8AM, schedule it for 8:15AM for instance. The autoloader eventually locks itself again if you leave it for too long.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) For BE 2012, the library is not not locked during a job, so you should be able to open the library without an unlock job.  You just have to make sure that your library is unlock once.

2) Normally, you should schedule your unlock job to occur just before the start of the work day.  You can use Windows scheduler to trigger the BEMCLI unlock cmdlet.