cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 Services not starting

IHCRC
Level 3

I have a fairly fresh install of BE2012 sp1a. BE2010 R2 used to live on the server, but was removed prior to install of the new product. After installation, live update and reboot, one of two scenarios plays out, both involving services hanging in a "starting" state. The services are either the Device and Media Service or the Backup Exec Server service.  In neither case am I finding anything to troubleshoot with in the event viewer. The BKUPEXEC sql instance is started and running. Backup devices (not yet configured) are Dell RD1000 and a couple of network disk folders.

User service account has local admin privies on the server. I've even installed with a domain admin account as the service account. Basically it appears that the product can't run right out of the gate.

Any help on what I can do? I've already been through uninstall/edit registry/delete files/reinstall dance.

Informationally, the server does run Symantec Endpoint Protection, if there's any conflict that might arise between the two products.

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you see any BE services error message in the windows event viewer

IHCRC
Level 3

Only events are 7001 and 7022, telling me that the service hung in a start-pending state. The fixes I find for that are usually service account related, but I've tried those to no avail.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Try the steps mentioned in the below article

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH33003

IHCRC
Level 3

Nope, no luck there either. Server is 2008 R2 Std. Outlook client is 2007. I used the Default Programs applet in control panel to set Outlook 2007 as default for whatever it can do. Any other ideas?

Still hanging on Backup Exec Server service.

dlozpa
Level 3

I'm having a quite similar issue:

New Windows Server 2008 R2 installation, installed BE2012 on trial at first, backups worked without a problem. After I received my license, I applied it to the system but ever since then, the backups have not been working.

The "Backup Exec Server" service is always in a "Starting..." state, even after a reboot.

I'm considering reinstall if there is no solution.

IHCRC
Level 3

If I'm any indication a reinstall won't help. I've done just about every scenario imaginable from install on. Just completed another round with some slight differences...didn't matter a bit.

dlozpa
Level 3

Have you found any new info on your issue? I do this for a client of mine, and I haven't been back there as I don't have a solid solution yet.