cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 and dedup Windows 2012

mghomer
Level 6

Hi all,

we woul like to move our fileserver to a windows server 2012 and enable dedup on it.

For this i have to upgrade our licens from BE 2010 to 2012.

But first i would like to know hot do BE 2012 handle the dedup date from the Windows Server 2012? 

Can I simply backup this dedup data like all other files? Or does the backup process do sothing with the dedup files like trieve the data from dedup or something like that?

And if the backup is possible do BE 2012 backup the same amount of the data on tape like after dedup the volumes has?

Is ther something a have to aware of?

Thanks all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...just make sure that your media server continues to run Windows Server 2008 R2. Neither Windows Server 2012 nor 2012 R2 are currently supported as media servers by BE 2012. Only the RAWS-agent part of it.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Hi, to answer one of your questions above: When you backup deduped date to tape, the data is rehydrated (i.e. the data copied on tapes will no longer be deduped)

CraigV

...just make sure that your media server continues to run Windows Server 2008 R2. Neither Windows Server 2012 nor 2012 R2 are currently supported as media servers by BE 2012. Only the RAWS-agent part of it.

Thanks!

CraigV

...just around the Beta for BE 2014 (as it will now be known!), please check below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/backup-exec-beta-program-important-update

Thanks!