cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 backup virtual very slow

Excursion
Level 3

I use Windows agent to backup virtual machine. The rate only less then 200 MB/Min.

It is the disk to disk backup using BackupExec 2012.

Any idea?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

If you are doing backup using windows remote agent that means you are backing up virtual machine as a physical machine

1 If  this was working before and not now please compare the job log in the past and current one to check on which resource it is slow

2 If you are just doing backup of flat file and no particular application backup like exchage ,sql etc then would be good to isolate this by copying some data like 2-3 gb from virtual machine to media server drive were backup is going and check how much time does it take and then backup same 2-3 gb folder or files and then check how much time does it take

3 Ensure check point restart for BE 2012 is disabled by you which is on AOFO page of job setup

4 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76327

Hope that helps

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

What is the target? Local disk? USB? SAN? NAS?

Excursion
Level 3

SAN as my target.

It take 1.5 hour to backup my SQL database before move to virtual environment but it took 16 hour now.

CraigV

Are you using SAN Transport Mode? Have you checked the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH155831

Thanks!

Excursion
Level 3

My backup server is a virtual machine. Is this matter? Thanks.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Sure, are you creating a backup-to-disk backup to the same SAN as the SAN where the VM is located ?
In that case the SAN must read and write to the same disks, depending on your configuration.

What kind of server (esx host) and kind of SAN do you have ?

Did you look at the performance statistics in Vmware of the two VMs in question ?

CraigV

...you need to be aware that using a VM to host Backup Exec is not supported at all by Symantec. While it might work (and we did this, much to my disagreement!) when you log a support call, expect no support unless you can reproduce the same issue in a physical environment.