cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 do not use Tapes -> Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library

Zerakus
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

We have a big problem. We are using Backup Exec 2012 on Windows Server 2008 R2. We have about 5 VM´s and we make a full backup every night on tape.

Now we get this error:

The error translated in englisch:

Event ID 58064: "Backup Exec Alert: Library Insert (Server: "%server%") (Job: "%job name%") Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command. Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media" is reported in the Event Viewer Application Log.

THE CRAZY THING ABOUT THIS ERROR IS, THAT WE HAVE MANY SCRATCH TAPES IN THE LIBRARY!!!!

Do you have any idea? It is very important for us. Thank you very much for your help

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Look at your tapes, there is a column which says "Protected until ..."  Make sure that you have tapes which are overwritable BEFORE your job starts.

Also, click on the BE button and the BE settings.  Under Media Management, make sure that the Ovewrite Protection Level is set to either Partial or Full.

Zerakus
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hy pkh,

Thank you for your fast answer. We have about 5 tapes they are overwriteable. Under BE seetings we have the Overwrite Protection Level "Partial".

This things sould be all correct, because nobody changed it.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Is your library partitioned?  If so, then BE will not use any overwrritable tapes if they are not in the targeted partition.

Zerakus
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hy pkh,

No our Libray is not partitioned. Thank you for your help

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Suggest you log a formal support case as unless you have missed something basic (which it does not look like you have) what you are trying to do should work. There is an odd thing though if the tapes are in scratch then the Mediensatz column should show Scratch - yours seem to show as blank

One question I do have - just for completeness of information , I don't think it will affect things.

Are all 5 VMs in one job or are you running separate jobs for each VM?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is an odd thing though if the tapes are in scratch then the Mediensatz column should show Scratch - yours seem to show as blank

Before loggin your support call, yu can try using BEUtility in the BE installation directory to repair the BEDB

Zerakus
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hy,

The column "Mediensatz" is not empty. I made it white, because we are not allowed to give such informations to the internet. All this tapes are in a mediaset.

All 5 VMs run in ONE Backupjob, at it worked for 1,5 years without an error.

@pkh
I will try the BEUtility. Thank you.

JVK
Not applicable
Hi, Not sure if this is going to help, but we had the same problem this morning with our BE2012 server. The tape showed up as overwritable in the media list however the job wouldn't use it and would just prompt for an overwrtieable tape to be inserted. We run an inventory job before the backups run to ensure that the content of the loader is up to date. When I looked at the Job History for the Inventory, I saw that the Status of the media was "Write-Protected" (See attachment).. It turned out that the write-protect tab on the media itself was slightly closed - which was enough to stop the tape being used. Like I said, as you've got multiple tapes I'm not sure that this will be the same issue for you... but thought it was worth a mention.. Cheers, John.