cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2014 CASO AVVI

mrzepecki
Level 3

Hello,

I'm designing Backup Exec enviroment with 20 BE servers managed with central CASO. All backups will be performed using AVVI. I found document on vcenter account for media servers (I guess).

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129645

Can anyone tell me what permisions are enough for CASO? It seems to me that permissions for caso are just read permisions - these are used just for reading informations about vSphere resources so CASO can create backup job (not execute job).

Am I right? Have you seen any document on it?

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

When you have a CASO setup, jobs are (usually*) created on the CASO but then sent out to the MMS/MBS server with their credentials, as such the credentials used have to be enough to complete the backup even if another server is going to run the backup. This is the same requirement irrespective of using AVVI or another agent.

In fact the CASO server also needs the same Backup Exec licenses as the MMS as otherwise you might  not be able to actually create the backup jobs because the selection for backup might not be availble if there were license differences.

*There is a configuration where the jobs could be configured locally instead of sent out from the CASO where you might only set credentials and use licenses on the MMS. However bear in mind the credentials themselves may still be stored inside the SQL database (BEDB) on the CASO.

mrzepecki
Level 3

>In fact the CASO server also needs the same Backup Exec licenses as the MMS as otherwise you might  not be able to actually create the backup jobs because the selection for backup might not be availble if there were license differences.

I know that :) I've experienced it. But my question is not about licensing.

CASO need to use some vCenter account to browse vsphere resources to configure backup job for particular VMs. What permissions are exactly needed for this account?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Afaik, the CASO server also needs the same permissions as outlined in the above mentioned KB.

If you are not going to be running any jobs (backup and restores) on the CASO, then you could try providing minimal permissions which don't include privileges such as VM -  State, VM - Snapshot, VM - Interaction, however there isn't any specific KB as such.

mrzepecki
Level 3

Now that you mention it I will tell you that some Symantec Employee told me that if I'm installing BE srevers form CASO and also deplying licences for BE from CASO, CASO will know / remember what licenses were deployed to BE servers (vray) so special license won't be needed for CASO.

It sounded incredible and it turned out not to be true.

:)

This is only a digression...

mrzepecki
Level 3

I not going to runn any jobs (backup and restores) on the CASO. 

That would be disadvantageous. CASO server will have enough work with the management of almoast 30 BE servers.