Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2014 DLM not delete already expired backup sets

ksattler
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello,

I have upgraded a BE2012 SP4 installation to BE2014. The backups go to a DataDomain DD160 using as a OpenStorage device.

There a lot of backup sets which are already have been expired. The DLM of BE2014 seems not deleting already expired backup sets (e.g. from BE2012).

For new expired backup sets the deletion works.

How can I delete the >1000 expired backup sets?

44 REPLIES 44

WWSupport
Not applicable

We are experiencing a similar issue. We have just installed BE 2014 in a test environment and cannot delete expired backup sets that were created by 2012.

ksattler
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have opened a ticket two days ago. Symantec knows of this issue and they are working on it.

ikmit
Level 4

Any update on this?

This problem effectively stopped this weekend's run of full backups

DaveyMG
Level 4

Same issue here after upgrading from BE2012 to BE2014, expired B2D backup sets aren't being deleted.

BE2014 doesn't appear to have a UI option to delete a backup set so even though I can see there are expired sets without any dependent backup sets, I can't delete them manually.

I've also found expired B2D sets that have Duplicate-to-Tape backup sets dependent on them, even though there is a corresponding D2T set for the expired B2D set. I would expect D2T sets to only be dependent on other D2T sets.

I've got a case logged but so far I've been asked to install a hotfix related to a problem of backup sets being deleted prematurely. This didn't change the situation for me.

Frank_
Level 3

I have exactly the same issue. Upgrade from 2012 to 2014 with the latest (cummulative HOTFIX 218257)

Expired media is filling up the disk because of dependency with duplicates on tape.

jerrys79
Level 4

ksattler,

do you have an update on the case you opened?

Thanks.

Celebi_IT
Not applicable

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO99585

Backup Exec button > Configuration and Settings > Backup Exec Settings > Storage > Allow Backup Exec to delete all expired backup sets

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi folks,

Starting with Backup Exec 2012, disk backup storage is managed by a new disk management function called Data Lifecycle Management (DLM). This allows BE to correctly manage disk targets and remove expired backup data. The Backup Definitions (jobs) have a setting for how long the backup data should be kept. After that timeframe has expired, DLM will delete the backup sets from Disk. DLM checks for any expired data every 4 hours by default. DLM is only used for disk targets (Backup to Disk (B2D) and Deduplication), while tape targets are managed by Media Sets like the previous versions of BE.

This being said, there are several considerations you should factor in. For example, if the backup image is the last recovery point, it will not be deleted until there is a newer one. The following article explains the two main situations where an expired backup sets will not be deleted after the expiration date and/or inability to overwrite or delete the last backup set: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187957

I used several times the regkey mentioned within the article and that solved the problem: KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Server\DeleteLastRecoverySetsOnceExpired. This registry key should delete all expired backup images.

Hope this helps.

--Virgil

DPILLC
Not applicable

Same issue.  Upgraded to 2014 last week with all hot fixes.  Registry and config properly set as noted.  Still have backup sets from 2011 "marked" as expired with long ago expiration dates.

Moltron1
Level 5

I also upgraded from 2012 to 2014, and have OST / Data Domains.  There are quite a few expired sets, and they are not being removed.  Also, it seems like I can't expire them manually.  I've tried doing this, and get no error message, yet the set still shows the previous expiration.   Not sure whats going on with that.  I am expiring them so they'll get deleted and free me up some space?  Anyone also have this issue?

DaveyMG
Level 4

After 6 weeks my support case status is "Awaiting Hotfix". Not very meaningful - have they identified the problem and are working on a fix, or are they still trying to work out what the problem is?

Meanwhile my B2D storage is slowly filling up, even recently created backup sets that are set as expired are not being groomed nor will manually expiring them cause them to be deleted.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

For BE 2014 this setting is exposed in the BE console so no need to edit the registry

Celebi IT already mentioned this earlier in the thread

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Call symantec, ask duty manager, raise to severity one, sit and wait.

kamel1204
Level 2

Hi

I have the same problem any news in this from Symantech Teck support

thanks 

Per_Vaihinen_En
Level 3
Partner Accredited

We have the same problem with upgraded Backup Exec 2012 -> 2014,  backup sets expired 2 months ago are still kept and slowly our DataDomain is filling up.

Have anyone got a resolution for this?

Should all having this problem open a case so Symantec would get more pressure to solve this?

DaveyMG
Level 4

I received an email from support today asking me to install SP1 to resolve the problem. I'll install next week.

Frank_
Level 3

me too.

DGar
Level 2

I have already installed Service Pack 1, and changed the DLM setting to allow BE to delete all expired datasets. And we still have the issue where the data will not delete. One of our BE drives has already filled and we only have 1TB available on the second drive. Has anyone found a fix to this issue yet?

dg

DaveyMG
Level 4

Same here. SP1 hasn't changed the situation.

I decided to try and delete one of my B2D volumes to remove the expired sets associated with it. I disabled the volume, selected to delete and also delete the backup sets from the catalog. After that I formatted the volume and used Configure Storage to add it back to BE. The volume added OK but the "Configuring Storage" part failed saying the volume was unavailable. Looking at the Storage screen showed the volume disabled. After enabling the volume and going through the add process again it configured OK except that all of the backup sets that were previously associated with the volume were still listed.

I repeated the above but gave the volume a different name but no change, the backup sets were still listed.

There seems to be something quite broken with the database. The only solution I see right now is to delete the whole database and face days of recataloging tapes.