Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2014 DLM not delete already expired backup sets

ksattler
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello,

I have upgraded a BE2012 SP4 installation to BE2014. The backups go to a DataDomain DD160 using as a OpenStorage device.

There a lot of backup sets which are already have been expired. The DLM of BE2014 seems not deleting already expired backup sets (e.g. from BE2012).

For new expired backup sets the deletion works.

How can I delete the >1000 expired backup sets?

44 REPLIES 44

CinColo
Level 2

In my case, this was a new install of 2104 on Server 2012 standard.  We back up to USB connected external hard drives, which are identical (which raised a red flag for the technician).  We were seeing that the backup sets for the new drive still showed the information for the previously connected external drive (which had not expired yet).  I believe we've found a solution but won't know for sure for a couple weeks until we have new data backed up to the drives.  The support person informed me that sometimes Backup Exec won't detect a new drive is attached if it has the same ID as the other drives, regardless of whether the data on the attached drive had expired.  I did notice this was odd when I first configured my backup job and attached each drive because I had only 1 name for the drives (Weekly Backup).  (The backups would run fine as long as I manually deleted data off them.).  In the past versions of BackupExec, I had to name each drive differently. It turns out you still need to name each one differently.  I've checked 2 of our drives so far, and they both had the same Unique ID. It looks promising now as Backup Exec forced me to name the second drive differently. You may already have unique names for your drives.  However, if they both have the same unique IDs, you can still be having this problem.  Below are the steps we followed:

1. Confirm the ID for each external drive by following the steps listed on this link.https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/changing-diskid  (also listed below).
  2. If the drives are all the same, modify the IDs so each drive is unique.
  3. If you're OK with starting clean, delete ALL the data on the external drive and go back into Configure Storage.  Delete the prior drive you had been using. Configure a new one-and this time it should prompt you to enter a unique name.

Steps for #1-Using the Windows PowerShell.

1. Attach first disk to your server and type DISKPART to find the signature.
  2. Type LIST DISK.
  3. Type SELECT DISK #, where # is the disk number in you system (use Disk Management to find disk number if you are uncertain).  (i.e. "Select disk 2")
  4. Type UNIQUEID DISK.  This will give you a 4 byte disk ID e.g. "e9eb3aa5"
  5. Now attach the second (or third, etc) and do the same, find the UNIQUE ID, which may likely show the same ID as the first. With the same DISKPART tool you can overwrite the ID with a new ID, try incrementing the number with 1 or changing the last letter for each new disk.
  6. After you know all the unique IDs (which hopefully are the same), use the command UNIQUEID DISK ID=xxxxxxxx, where the x's is the new id you chose.
  7. After the ID is changed, delete all BE folders from that disk (including /BEControl and /BEdata), disconnect the USB drive, and reconnected it.
  8. This time BE Storage does not find the disk in the list and you can Add a new disk.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/changing-diskid

UPDATE:  GIVING EACH DRIVE A UNIQUE ID FIXED THE PROBLEM FOR ME.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE recognises a disk by its DISKID and not by the name of the disk.  This is known for a long time.  See the blog.

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

as a person who recommends BE , im so sorry to hear that.

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

i have same problem with  BE 2014 SP2 with local deduplication Disk updated from BE 2012 SP4 , i tried to expire backupset s manually & to recliam disk space manually (TECH130103) serveral time .backup sets disappear and after few minutes comes backup.

Strange thing is the only  backup sets that are not deleting are "Exchange 2013" VM & Database's backups!

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

any news on youre case? is youre problem solved?

no i updated my server to SP2 and nothing happend.