cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2014 - Duplicate Error - Unkown Error

Treeeman
Level 4

Hello,

i am relly frustrated and i don't know what i should do to solve this issue.

Environment:
- BackupExec 2014 (all Hotfixes installed)
- HP StoreEver MSL4048 LTO5 Library
- HP StoreOnce Virtual Tape Libary

Issue:
I do a daily backup first to my VTL and duplicated the Backups after finishing the Backup Job to my physical MSL Tape Library at another Fire Protection Area. Everything ist conneted over FC.
Since a few weeks 99,9% of my Duplication Jobs failed with following Error (Translated from German Installation):

============================
On Device "HP LTO5 LW1" was a unknown Error.V-79-57344-3403614.1.1786.1093eng-ntfs-setcopyV-79-57344-34036DERetailWindows_V-6.1.7601_SP-1.0_PL-0x2_SU-0x112_PT-0x3 - Unknown Error.
============================

The first time i think there is a issue with my tape Library. After doing some Test with HP Library and Tape Tools, everythink seems to be ok.
So i checked my Backup Exec 2014. I did also some Test-Backups and realized a strange thing. If i do a backup directly to my MSL, everythink works. No Problems or Erros. If i do a Backup to VTL and Duplicate the Backups to MSL, my lovely Error comes back again.

Any Ideas?

Kind Regards
Marco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Treeeman
Level 4

Hi,

Problem solved.
After doing some other test i was confused about the fact that sometimes the Copy Job works and sometimes not. I wrote previously a absolutly new Job is running perfect. This was not always the case. After rerunning the Job again and again, the error suddenly returns.

So i tooked a look at the tapes which were used.
I realized all Jobs who failed are using the same Tapes. So i checked the Tapes with HP Library and Tape tools and realized some Tapes are defective.

So i exchanged the Tapes with new one. Since that everything works.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
Marco

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

lmosla
Level 6

Hello,

what happens if you try to backup just to the vtl?  Have you tried recreating the job?

Treeeman
Level 4

Hi,

just backup to VTL works fine.
Yes, i tried to recreate the Job. Same Error.

Kind Regards
Marco

Treeeman
Level 4

additional Info:

I took a look at my library when the Duplication-Job start. The Tape is loading and rewinding. After some time (about 6 Minutes) the Tape is unloading and my error is logged.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

What happens if you try to restore something that has been backed up to the VTL?

Note: Suggest a redirect of some standard files for this test

Treeeman
Level 4

Some Information:
If i recreate the Job and use the old one as a template, the error still persists.
If i create a absolutly new Job, the Duplication works.

Because i have about 650 Jobs i dont't want to create all Jobs from Scratch.
Any idea how i am able to prevent recreating everything?

@Colin Weaver
Works without any issue. I restored about a week ago some Exchange Items.

Treeeman
Level 4

Hi,

Problem solved.
After doing some other test i was confused about the fact that sometimes the Copy Job works and sometimes not. I wrote previously a absolutly new Job is running perfect. This was not always the case. After rerunning the Job again and again, the error suddenly returns.

So i tooked a look at the tapes which were used.
I realized all Jobs who failed are using the same Tapes. So i checked the Tapes with HP Library and Tape tools and realized some Tapes are defective.

So i exchanged the Tapes with new one. Since that everything works.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
Marco