cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2014 Duplication schedules - How do they work?

LozBC
Level 4

Hi,

Another set of BE queries...

I am trying to understand how the Duplication stage works in a job.

Currently I am targeting dedupe first... then adding a stage for Duplication...

Scenario 1

I create a job to perform full backups on Friday and differentials Monday to Thursday. For both stages I set them to start backing up data to the dedupe store at 6PM and cancel the job if it is still running at 8AM the next day. I then add two stages and select "Duplicate immediately after source task completes" and select Full for one stage and Differential for the other.

Are the duplication jobs bound by the schedule of backup? I.e if the backup job finishes at 7AM, will the duplication job cancel at 8AM or will it simply go on until it has finished?

Scenario 2

Instead of selecting "Duplicate immediately after source task completes" I select "According to schedule" and set it to "All backups" (Or "Selected backups" - I do not think this matters for this scenario)... This is then working fine... However at some point in the future I miss some duplication jobs (Issue with tape drive or tapes etc), or I just do not want to do any for a while so I place the duplication stage on hold... Once I take it off hold it is going to want to duplicate all the sets it has missed so far...

How can I avoid this (I want it duplicate all jobs going forward but not the ones it has already missed)... Can I simply remove the duplication stage and save the job, and then re-open it and add it back or do I have to re-create the entire job? I think BE2012 had a similar issue with duplicating media sets that had already been expired???

Scenario 3

I keep my "According to schedule" setting... How is this actually linked to the backup stage?? Does the duplicate stage wait for the backup stage to complete or do they both simply share the selection list? For example... If I create a job to perform full backups on Friday and differentials Monday to Thursday. For both stages I set them to start backing up data to the dedupe store at 6PM and cancel the job if it is still running at 9AM the next day. I then add the duplicate stage selecting "According to schedule" and set this to run at 8AM... If a backup job is still running at 8AM, (Assuming all the previous days jobs have already been duplicated) will the duplication task simply start and then fail because the backup job has not finished and therefore there is nothing to duplicate? Or it will duplicate what has already been backed up (Assuming multiple selections in a selection list...)?

If anyone can help I would appreciate it....

PS... It would be nice if Symantec had a Last Differential/Last Incremental option in the "According to Schedule" window... This would resolve a lot of my issues... as if I missed a duplication job I would know exactly what I was missing and would not have backups queued up for the next duplication window!

0 REPLIES 0