cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2014 - MS Exchange - Inbox folders

keylog
Level 2

A number of our Exchange/Outlook users have created folders inside their Inbox (as opposed to folders created inside their mailbox).  Recently I checked our backups to see if I could restore mail items from the folders that are created inside an Inbox.  However, these nested folders are not visible.  Should they be visible and should I be able to restore the folder and/or a mail item from one of these folders?

The folders that are directly under the users mailbox are visible and I can do restores of those folders and the mail items they contain.  But I am unable to see any folders that are nested inside the first level of mailbox folders, and as such I am unable to retore those nested items.

Our config is as follws:

Backup server: Windows 2008 R2 / Backup Exec 2014
Exchange server: Windows 2012  / Exchange 2010 with SP3 RU2

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers
4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Did you install the Exchange Management Tool on the media server?

keylog
Level 2

pkh - thanks for your prompt answer. 

No, we don't have the Exchange Management Tools installed on the media server.  But now looking at the BE Admin guide I see we need these.  I'll get them installed and report back in due course - but that sounds like that will fix the issue.

Thanks again

keylog
Level 2

Update

Before I installed the Exchange Management Tools on the BE media server I checked all of our users Inboxes and found that sub-folders on most inboxes (not to be confused with sub-folders at the mailbox level) were actually visible. 

What I found though, if the users Inbox had a large number of emails at the inbox root level their inbox sub folders were not visible.

Even after installing the Exchange Management Tools on the BE media server it didn't make any difference.  Those Inboxes that had a large number of emails at the Inbox root level the sub-folders were still not visible.

The inboxes that I am having problems with have over 16,000 emails sitting in their inbox at the root level.  It seems that there is a maximum number of emails that can be in the Inbox (at the root level) and still have the sub-folders visible.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Or maybe the question is, has anyone actually checked?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is a known problem.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH214886

You should log a support case with Symantec so that they can include you.