Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2014 SBS - License Count Client OS as Server

Danny_Wackes
Level 4

Hello,

Using BE2014 SBS Edition on a SBS2011.

We are getting the "Warning" that we are Backing Up more Servers than we have Licenses for...

In the MouseOver the "Servers" are Listed and one of them is a Client. (Windows 7 OS).
(But it is running on a HyperV System like the SBS2011).

Is that a Bug or is there a way we can change this?

Thanks and best Regards
Danny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes, but not with the BE SB edition licence.

Your SBS machine has SQL instances and the second machine has SQL instances, so you have 2 machines with SQL instances.  The BE SB edition licence only allows you to backup 1 machine with SQL instances.  Furthermore, you cannot add an Agent for Applications and Databases licence to backup the other machine with SQL instances.

You can verify all this with the Symantec Licencing department which is the final authority on licencing matters.  I may be wrong.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should list your physical servers, what OSes they are running and what VM's are running on each of them, if any

Danny_Wackes
Level 4

Thank you pkh,

there is one physical Server with Windows 2008r2 running HyperV Host and BackupExec.
On this physical Server we have running SBS2011 and Windows 2008r2 (for SQL) on HyperV.

And also another Windows 7 Pro Installation on HyperV. (This one is identified also as a Server)

With BE2012 this was never a Problem.

best Regards
Danny

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Am I correct to say you have 1 physical machine with 3 VM's on it?

What is the exact error message?

I think it is more the SQL on the second machine that is the problem.  The SB edition licence allows you to backup only one machine with SQL.  You now have 2 machines with SQL, the 1st and 2nd machine.

Danny_Wackes
Level 4

Correct 1 physical with 3 VM. But one of the VMs is just an ClientOS.
And thats the one identified as Server from BackupExec.

Please take a look at the Attachment.

I think the SQL should be no Problem because thats the supported Setup by Microsoft.
(1 SBS2011 and a second Server 2008r2 for SQL Databases in SBS.)

regards
Danny

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes, but not with the BE SB edition licence.

Your SBS machine has SQL instances and the second machine has SQL instances, so you have 2 machines with SQL instances.  The BE SB edition licence only allows you to backup 1 machine with SQL instances.  Furthermore, you cannot add an Agent for Applications and Databases licence to backup the other machine with SQL instances.

You can verify all this with the Symantec Licencing department which is the final authority on licencing matters.  I may be wrong.

Danny_Wackes
Level 4

Thank you pkh,

i will do this.

regards
Danny

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Do post the result so that others can learn