cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2014 SDR questions

RicohNorway
Level 5

Hi Guys

I have some simple questions regarding SDR in BE2014. I am running my BE2014 with SP1 and hot fix on Windows 2012 R2 server. Everything is functioning perfectly. I just want to make sure that i am following the correct practices regarding SDR of BE2014 itself. I am trying to make sure i can recover my environment in the following scenarios:

1. A server (physical\virtual) in my environment is down, and i want to recover that.
  2. My Backup Exec 2014 server itself is down, and i need to recover that.

I know that i have following data which put together help me recover the above mentioned scenarios:

• SDR recovery data path
  • SDR recovery alternate data path
  • SDR recovery disks (ISO file created for servers with SDR enabled)
  • Backup sets
  • BE2014 folders, DATA and CATALOG.

What i dont understand is in case of recovery of a server, if i have a ISO image for that server, do i still need the files in the SDR recovery path to recover the server?

I have recently setup av backup job where the DATA and CATALOG folder of BE2014 itself is taken backup of to an external storage. I selected the folder themself rather then the same databased under SQL selection, is that the correct way to select theese data for backup?

I the selection is correct, is DATA and CATALOG folders enough to recover the BE2014 itself?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What i dont understand is in case of recovery of a server, if i have a ISO image for that server, do i still need the files in the SDR recovery path to recover the server?

Yes, since the .DR file contains information such as reference to the backup made, where the backup set resides (catalog details) and other details such as drivers, disk information etc.

I the selection is correct, is DATA and CATALOG folders enough to recover the BE2014 itself?

Yes. In a nutshell, the basic steps involve reinstalling the same version of BE, stop all BE services and replace the newly created Data/Catalog folders with their copies and restart all services.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

VJware
Level 6

Yes, since the .DR file contains information such as reference to the backup made, where the backup set resides (catalog details) and other details such as drivers, disk information etc.

Yes. In a nutshell, the basic steps involve reinstalling the same version of BE, stop all BE services and replace the newly created Data/Catalog folders with their copies and restart all services.

RicohNorway
Level 5

Oki, so .DR files contains the referance to the backup made, thought that was something which were copied to the ISO image when created.

Can you also answer questions 2, if it is the correct way to backup the DATA and CATALOG folder, by simply selecting them from the file selection rather then SQL selection of BE2014.

VJware
Level 6

Both ways are fine. If you have an extra Agent for Applications & Database license, you can backup the BE's Database from the SQL node, else you can always make a copy of the Data & Catalog folders. (The Data folder also contains a database backup which is made automatically by BE as part of a daily maintenance plan)

RicohNorway
Level 5

Oki, then i will stick to the Folder selection only. One more question i hope you can answer:

When we are backing up a Vmware virtual server, is it automatically using snapshot technology of VmWare to perform the backup regardless of whats on the server? On the backup setup, i dont see any window dealing with VmWare. It only changes based on wheter its SQL, Sharepoint, etc.

VJware
Level 6

By default, yes, BE takes a snapshot when backing up VMs using the VMware agent.

RicohNorway
Level 5

Thanks for the reply, but why dont i have the option to restore the entire vmware server back to VmWare environtment.

VJware
Level 6

Yes, you do. Are you initiating the restore by right-clicking the ESX host or the vCenter ?