cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2014 Slot-Scan

bandit61
Level 6

Is there a know issue with the Scan & Inventory-Function in BE2014, cause yesterday I removed 2 tapes from the tapelibrary and did a scan. This morning these 2 tapes still appeared in the Slot details. I ran a scan and an inventory (used F5 for refrehs several times), without success. After 1,5h (they were still there), i again did a scan and now they disappeared. The environment I'm talking about 1 CAS & 1 MMS, both on w2k8R2 and BE2014 SP1 + HF225092.

Before with BE2012R3 this never was an issue.

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...do you have barcodes on the tapes?

Have you checked the Known Issues section to see if this is listed there?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/issues

Thanks!

bandit61
Level 6

Yes, I have barcode on the tapes. I removed 3 tapes (weekly backup) and put 3 new ( 3 tapes mentioned end marker not readable, initlized oct. 2011) in the library. The new tapes appeared an the slot details after the scan, but the3 from weekly backup showed up in their slots, but the slots were empty. Also the web-gui from the taelib show no tapes on that slots.

Checked the know issues for be2014, cause before migration no problem with the scan.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...and you're using the Symantec drivers for the drive? Run tapeinst.exe to verify this.

Also, stop the BE services and check the web front-end of the library and see if those tapes show up with the correct barcodes.

Thanks!

bandit61
Level 6

Tried again on the mms with his local tapelib. Put 2 new tapes into the taplib, webgui saw them, but on the mms (be2014 sp1+hf225092) i did 2 scans, not tape appeared in slot43 &44. Did a scan of the mms-tapelib on the cas, no new tapes. Restarted the be-services on the mms ==> the new tapes show up in slot 43 & 44.

On the cas F5/refresh on mms-taplib, still no new tapes. Had to run a scan again, now the new tapes are in slot43&44.

bandit61
Level 6

CAS: Intel Xeon E5620 2,4GHz, 8 proc, 6GB

MMS: Intel Xeon X5650 2,67Ghz, 48GB

So I think it's not an HW-Issue. 

bandit61
Level 6

All 4 tape-drive use the Symantec  version 5.1.37.0 date 12-2-2008

on the web-gui the right barcode appears, immediately after inserting the tapes

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Are you using import/export?  or are you manually loading the tapes in the slots?

There is a known issue with scan. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH222866

I don't think that you need to worry about the tape drive drivers much as the tape drive isn't used for the scan function.

bandit61
Level 6

Just manually loading, then labeling that's it. What make my worry, is that when we change from daily-tapes to weekly, will be2014 realize that we loaded tapes for the weekly-backup. Will BE2014 will take the right tapes or just wait, if in any media-set, a tape becomes available. Don't like to spent time and tape-drive to copy from tape-to tape, if it's not really necessary. Nomrally Mr. Murphy hits you and you need another tape-drive for restore at that time as well. 

Workaround: Inventory, didn't do the job either!!!!!!!!!!

our workaround: scan, scan, inventory, scan, restart service

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

If inventory isn't working for you, then I suggest opening a tech support case.  My guess is that you have a database issue, assuming you have ruled out a hardware issue.  This link would help with that http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24414

bandit61
Level 6

I'll run thru this test tomorrow, already left the office. Concerning database, if run all test on the CAS & MBS successfully, which are available thru the beutility.exe, without any improvcement on the scanning-issue.

bandit61
Level 6

forgot to mention: case is already opened!!