cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2014: What happens when Job2 is supposed to start while Job1 is not finished yet?

Jalil
Level 3

Hello,

I have two jobs to be executed with the same LTO drive to the same Tape:

Job1: Start at 03:00 finished around 08:00

Job2: Start at 04:00 finished around 07:00

What will happen to Job2 when it will try to start at 04:00 while Job1 not finished yet?

Will Job2 wait until Job1 finished at 08:00 then it starts and finished around 11:00?

Regrads,

Jalil

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Job 2 will start at the schedule time but then it will be queued until the tape drive and tape is not available.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You mentioned "one tape" so I suppose you want the second job to append to the tape used by the first job. This will not happen. When the second job starts, the first job is still waiting to the tape so it's status would be not appendable. The second job will either append to another tape if it is available, or switch to overwrite mode if you set the second job to "append, otherwise overwrite" or fail if it is only set to append. When the first job finishes, the second job will cat out one of these actions. If you want the second job to append to the tape used by the first job, then start it AFTER the first job has finished

Jalil
Level 3

Yes the two Jobs are set with "append, otherwise overwrite".

So how to make Job2 queued and start appending to the tape only when Job1 finished its append?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

please don't create duplicate threads.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/two-jobs-same-lto-drive-append-backups-same-tape

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is no way to do this. Job 2 must start after Job 1 is completed if it is to spend too the tape. You can either schedule it to start some time after Job 1 completes, or chain your jobs. See my article below. https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/use-bemcli-chain-jobs Do NOT ask the same question in different discussions. This is a no-no on this forum