cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2014 - backup to USB, drive letter issues, not online.

Dozer302
Level 3

Hi all,

I have a BE2014 server running on Windows 2008 R2, all patched upto date.

Backups are run to dedupe storage disks and duplicated to USB drives that are swapped daily and weekly.

When I swap out a daily USB disk BE2014 takes ages and sometimes fails to put the storage media online in the "Storage" tab.

If I go into disk manager and give the drive a drive letter then up it pops in BE2014 and works like a charm.

Is this normal behaviour? 

Once I unplug the drive and plug the next days drive back in, I need to re-allocate a drive letter in disk manager for BE2014 to see the drive again...

Any ideas?

Dorian

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I think this is on OS issue as we are waiting for it to get a drive letter.

Note: I assume you are plugging this disk into the Backup Exec Server and not into something sitting on the back of another device with a share open (we do not support the plug/unplug detection if the USB disk is not attached to the Backup Exec server directly)

pkh
   VIP    Certified
BE recognizes USB disks by their diskid. Make sure the diskid of your disks are unique. See my blog below https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/changing-diskid

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Whilst it is recognized by disk ID, I think it still needs a drive letter assigned by the OS to come online. Bear in mind the lack of a drive letter might be an indication that something else (the auto insert notification for instance ) has also not happened and we do need that to come back online.

I have seen test servers not give USB drives a drive letter and I think this gave me similar problem until I used the OS disk manager to give the drive a letter (although it was some time ago when I last saw this so I don't have all the details or the test server concerned any more)