cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEDB "read only" after 12.5-2010R2-migration

dev_null1
Level 3

BEDB seems to be "read only" after migration from 12.5 to 2010R2. For example change/delete/create in selection-lists (Auswahllisten) does not work. Changes in the BE-options sometimes result in "unexpected database exception".

The same after BEUTILITY / "Database repair".

Installation/Migration itself ends successful without any errors.

(Windows 2003 SP1 / SP2)

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dev_null1
Level 3

The message "Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'ParentGUID', table 'BEDB.dbo.BELog'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails." inspired me to launch SQL Management Studio again.

Compared to a working setup on an other server there is one more column in 'BEDB.dbo.BELog'-table: ParentGUID, default property is "not null". Maybe a historic table from 12.5 or older.

BackupExec seems to work if i set "allow nulls" for ParentGUID.

Could anyone verify this? Is this ok or could this cause some new problems? Should i delete this column?

Remark: i set it to "allow nulls", that works.

Thanks for your help, best regards.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Check the Event Viewer for any SQL related errors. Could be a case of low hard disk space on the server.

dev_null1
Level 3

Thanks for your answer/inspiration. Sorry, next time i should check this first.

There is more than 7GB free disk space, but there are some different (compared to a running system) eventlog-entries:

SQLBrowser starts up with ERROR "The SQL configuration for SQL is inaccessible or invalid.", Warning "The configuration of the SQL instance MSSQLServer is not valid." and Warning "The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance BKUPEXEC is not valid."

Changes in BE (new selection list, restore order) create for example BE-EventLog-IDs 57345 (Information) like this:

"Database Exception Context:Audit Log Insert Error:-536837662: :: -2147217873:The statement has been terminated. :: DB Error Set 0: native=0xe25 source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server hr=0x80040e2f The statement has been terminated. :: DB Error Set 1: native=0x203 source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server hr=0x80040e2f Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'ParentGUID', table 'BEDB.dbo.BELog'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails. "

"Database Exception Context:m_QueryTimeoutInSeconds=30 sql={CALL DBO.LOGACTION(?,?,?,?,?)} Error:-536837662: :: -2147217873:The statement has been terminated. :: DB Error Set 0: native=0xe25 source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server hr=0x80040e2f The statement has been terminated. :: DB Error Set 1: native=0x203 source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server hr=0x80040e2f Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'ParentGUID', table 'BEDB.dbo.BELog'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails."

Database maintenance (repair, reindexing, ...) by BEUTILITY seems to work/does not cause any eventlog-errors or warnings.

At the end i'm still searching for a solution ...   ;)

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you provide the version of SQL which you are using for Backup Exec & the size of the BEDB database..

dev_null1
Level 3

Installed version is the default installed version: "Microsoft SQL 2005 Server Express".

Size of database:

bedb_dat.mdf: 30016 KB

bedb_log.ldf: 1280 KB

Data-Folder: 130 MB

SQL Server Management Studio shows a bedb-database-size of 30,5 MB. There ist also a "Space Available"-Option: 2,92 MB

Annotation: same error with "Microsoft SQL 2008 Server Express"

dev_null1
Level 3

Result of a crosstesting is:

• Uninstall of 12.5 (+ deleting the database) and fresh installation on the same environment works (disadvantage: lost database).
  • Setup on a new installed machine, then 12.5 and then migration of the old database results in the same errors.

Somehow the database is the problem, but database maintenace before migration does not change anything.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

dev_null1
Level 3

The message "Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'ParentGUID', table 'BEDB.dbo.BELog'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails." inspired me to launch SQL Management Studio again.

Compared to a working setup on an other server there is one more column in 'BEDB.dbo.BELog'-table: ParentGUID, default property is "not null". Maybe a historic table from 12.5 or older.

BackupExec seems to work if i set "allow nulls" for ParentGUID.

Could anyone verify this? Is this ok or could this cause some new problems? Should i delete this column?

Remark: i set it to "allow nulls", that works.

Thanks for your help, best regards.