cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEMCLI Submit-BELinuxMacRestoreJob Backup set

MSDI
Level 4

Hi,

There seems to be a problem with the BEMCLI Submit-BELinuxMacRestoreJob command.

Let say I do a full Backup and there are 3 files

"A","B" and "C"
I Then add a new file named "D"
If I do an incremental job, I'll have only file "D" backed up which is normal.

If I do this

$objBEJobhistory = GET-BEjobhistory -JobStatus Succeeded -JobType Backup -Name "xxxxxx" -FromLastJobRun

​$objBEjob = Submit-BELinuxMacRestoreJob -JobHistory $objBEJobhistory -LinuxMacSelection "/" -RedirectToPath "C:\temp" -AutomaticallyDeleteJob WhenComplete | Wait-BEJob

I would expect only file "D" to be restored. But "A", "B", "C" and "D" are restored. Like if the option "Point in time" was selected... Is there a way to restore only the files that were in a specific backup set ? I think the command I ran should do exactly this but it doesn't... Am i doing it wrong ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Pls log a support case for an engineer to have a look @ your setup. Thanks.

MSDI
Level 4

Hi,

We are in the trial period and trying to figure out if the product will fit our needs before we purchase. Is there pre-sale support ? As far I understood, beside the support forum there is no way to open a case.​

I spoke to my CDW rep and the question was too specific so I had no luck in this path neither.

Thanks

VJware
Level 6

I was successfully able to restore only the file which was backed up in my incremental job on a test server.

Are these the exact commands which you used ?

In my example, i explicitly specified the file which i wanted to restore. For egs

Your command -

Submit-BELinuxMacRestoreJob -JobHistory $objBEJobhistory -LinuxMacSelection "/" -RedirectToPath "C:\temp" -AutomaticallyDeleteJob WhenComplete | Wait-BEJob

My command -

Submit-BELinuxMacRestoreJob -JobHistory $objBEJobhistory -LinuxMacSelection "/dir/filename" -RedirectToPath "C:\temp" -AutomaticallyDeleteJob WhenComplete | Wait-BEJob

MSDI
Level 4

Hi VJware,

I tried with exactly the proper file name and it worked. But I think I shouldn't have to specify all the files in the backup set to restore it. In my case, there are about 20 000 files per day being backed up. I want to be able to restore all of them without listing them all...

What would be the point the specify the specific job history if we had to list files ? I could specify the server name, the list of files and dates. Why bother with the job history ?

In the GUI, if you select to "RESTORE" and choose "Files and folder backups from a backup set", it restores exactly what I'm trying to achieve by the CLI. That's why in my opinion it's a bug. It's like if the flag "Restore to a point in time" was set and the client loops through all the backup sets to restore, not just the one I "selected"​ by specifying the job history.

Don't you consider this to be a bug ? It might be me...

Thanks again.

VJware
Level 6

it restores exactly what I'm trying to achieve by the CLI.

Did you select the entire backup set or just the file in the restore selections window ?

This may be a CLI bug or it could be that Linux Restores via the CLI by default are PIT restores. Will have to check further.

MSDI
Level 4

Ok. If this is the only way, I'll have to find a way to retrieve the list of files that were backed up in a specific backup set. Not sure if this is even possible :(

For the CLI VS GUI comparison, I chose the whole backup set without specifying the files individually and it works like a charm.

Regards

p.s.

To be honest, we are really disapointed with the Backup Exec 15 software...

- We have problem with scripting the restore

- also with deduplication the doesnt work well because it eats a lot of bandwidth on verify which shouldn't be

- Linux agent RHEL7 doesnt support open files yet

- Backups keep on failing at 200G and we don't know why (limitation of the trial ?)

So we asked a lot of questions and we really appreciated help coming from everyone but all these issues are still problems for us. We spoke with our someone at veritas that will send us an eval key for netbackup to see if the product is better. Backup Exec is really disapointing :(

We are on day 50 of 60 so we won't have time to fix all this (if even possible, seems to be limitations of the software). So we'll try netbackup to see if it's better.

Thanks again everyone for your help