cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEMCLI vs BE2016 UI

jmorrison
Level 1

I'm trying to backup specific directories on a NAS (EMC Isilon).  I can create and submit a job, manually, via the UI without any problems.

However, when doing the same via BEMCLI I get errors trying to create the file selection.

Here is the bemcli cmd.

Submit-BEOnetimeBackupJob -agentserver $agent -name "dynojob" -SubmitOnHold $true -Storage $storage  -FileSystemSelection "pipeline\code\scripts\*"

The agent and storage variables are correct.

here are the $agent and $storage variable values

PS C:\Users\administrator.SSLA> $agent

Name

----
isilon-nl

PS C:\Users\administrator.SSLA> $storage

Name                                     StorageType          Active   Paused   Disabled Servers
----                                     -----------          ------   ------   -------- -------
Robotic library 0002                     RoboticLibraryDevice False    False    False    {SSLABKUP}

Here is the error

Submit-BEOnetimeBackupJob : Cannot make a selection for "pipeline\code\scripts\*" because the \\*\* volume is not on the specified agent server.
At line:1 char:1
+ Submit-BEOnetimeBackupJob -agentserver $agent -name "dynojob" -SubmitOnHold $tru ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:String) [Submit-BEOnetimeBackupJob], ItemNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : SessionStateException,BackupExec.Management.CLI.Commands.SubmitBEOnetimeBackupJobCommand

for the file selection, i've tried "\\isilon-nl\pipeline\code\...." and "isilon-nl\pipeline\code\...." and "\pipeline\code\...." and "code\....".  I even tried isilon-nl:\pipeline\code\....

The SMB share "pipeline" is connected to \\isilon-nl\pipeline.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

John Morrison

2 REPLIES 2

MBustamante
Level 2

The best way to do this is use the same selection list as seen in the gui it self.

I am providing the information that a NDMP files server most likely would also use:

Submit-BEOnetimeBackupJob -AgentServer filer2 -name "NDMP Data" -SubmitOnHold $true -Storage $storage -FileSystemSelection "vol/vol0/trend/*.* [Subdir]"

You should be able to verify this FileSystemSelection by creating a selection list from the gui itself for an example. So if you create the selection list and then select the tab for "selection details" it should show you what is being included on the backup.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just for info

BEMCLI does not provide 100% of the functionality that the BE GUI can, so it is likely you are running into one of the limitations that has to be performed in the GUI

Converseley there are a small number of rarely used abilities that can ONLY be performed using BEMCLI and are not available in the console