cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEMCMD list active jobs for ALL jobs

DNANOBEL
Level 4

Hi,

I want to unpause the tapedrive automatically when there are no active/running jobs running anymore for 10 mins.

How can I achieve this with the BEMCMD in a bat-file?

I searched for -o15 and -o16 and it requires a job name or job id.... I would to use a sort of wild card (*) so that I dont have to use this command for every seperate job. Or else I have to lookup more then 100 job ids/names....

Kind regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DNANOBEL
Level 4

Aha I found it! it was listed as deprecated command, but it still works: bemcmd -o11

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec>bemcmd -o11

NUMBER OF OBJECTS: 0
RETURN VALUE: 1

Now I can create a BAT file to check the active jobs.
I'm not sure how to create this bat-file, but if somebody could help me with an example I would be really thankfull.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You might want to use the -o62 switch to check whether the drive is paused.  If it is paused, then unpause it.  Otherwise, there is no need for to do an unpause.

DNANOBEL
Level 4

Hi,

I want to unpause the tapedrive when all other jobs are completed.

With -o62 I can only check if the tape is paused. But this wont help me to reach my goal.

I put my tapedrive on pause on a fixed time/date. (before all jobs start)

I want to unpause the tapedrive when all jobs are completed. Because I want to the backup2disk jobs run first and when all are completed, I want to unpause the tapedrive so all the duplicate jobs can start.

Other question: How can I retrieve the status of the backup2disk device? (if it's not in use anymore, then I can unpause the tapedrive device)

Any other ideas?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If your duplicate jobs are waiting for the tape drive then they are considered to be active so your strategy is of no use. Why don't you let the duplicate jobs run?

DNANOBEL
Level 4

If the duplicate jobs run while the backup2disk jobs are running (write I/O's), then it will cost too many read  I/O's for my Backup2Disk harddisk drive. (d:\) The cache on the RAID controller performs better if read/write are not mixed.

But can you help me with my last question: Is it possible to lookup the status of the backup2disk device? (In the GUI you can see "in use" message.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have not come across a switch which returns the busy status of a drive.

Have you tried scheduling your duplicate jobs to start at a certain time after all the backup jobs have completed.

DNANOBEL
Level 4

The option you mention is too static (fixed time). I want to have a dynamic start of the backup2tape jobs.

If it's not possible, then I have to query the database of BackupExec and lookup the status of the jobs every 5 mins.

The same would be nice: run a report job when all jobs are finished (dynamic end time).

DNANOBEL
Level 4

I tried -o23, but i am getting 227 as result, see below. Can somebody help me with this?

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec>bemcmd -o23 -s:"Running"

NUMBER OF OBJECTS: 227

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec>bemcmd -o23 -s

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec>bemcmd -o23 -s:running

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec>bemcmd -o23 -s:"Active"

DNANOBEL
Level 4

Aha I found it! it was listed as deprecated command, but it still works: bemcmd -o11

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec>bemcmd -o11

NUMBER OF OBJECTS: 0

Now I can create a BAT file to check the active jobs.
I'm not sure how to create this bat-file, but if somebody could help me with an example I would be really thankfull.