cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWS 12.5 queueing of DBA-initiated jobs

Mike_Ely
Level 4

Supposing I have a few dozen regular backup jobs that run every night to our 4-drive tape library while the servers are relatively idle, and then I need to run a DBA-initiated Oracle backup job also late at night, how does queueing work?  Will the DBA-initiated job simply fail due to lack of an available drive, or will it queue up cleanly with the regular jobs?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I assume that by DBA-initiated jobs, you mean jobs that are initiated by the Oracle DBA and not by BE.  If this is so and the Oracle jobs are initiated after the BE are running, then they would find that the tape library is held by BE.  Their reaction will depend on how they handle the situation where they do not have anything to write to.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I assume that by DBA-initiated jobs, you mean jobs that are initiated by the Oracle DBA and not by BE.  If this is so and the Oracle jobs are initiated after the BE are running, then they would find that the tape library is held by BE.  Their reaction will depend on how they handle the situation where they do not have anything to write to.

Mike_Ely
Level 4

...I'd really rather initiate these via cron so the backups can run daily along with the other heap of backups that get run.

Is there a way to get the DBA-initiated job to insert itself into the queue of jobs and run when the next tape slot opens up?

There really needs to be a way to control how RMAN runs the backup without having this kind of scheduling mess.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Is there a way to get the DBA-initiated job to insert itself into the queue of jobs and run when the next tape slot opens up?

No. I don't believe there is a way because BE and your Oracle utility are unaware of each others' existence.  They will just grab onto the tape device and hold it until it is done with it.

Mike_Ely
Level 4

I'm kind of in a catch-22 here then.  I need all my backups (not just the Oracle ones) to run at night, when everything goes well they still run all night, and I've got Oracle backups that need specific RMAN parameters which BUE will not provide, Symantec's support answer is "use DBA-initiated jobs" but there's zero integration in library management.

Surely someone else has encountered similar entertainments and has come up with a solution?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The best that you can do is to allocate different time slots for the BE and DBA jobs, e.g. run the BE jobs from 0001 hrs to 0300 hrs and the DBA jobs from 0301 hrs to 0600 hrs.  This way they would not clash with each other.