cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEX2010R3 with SP2 (latest Hotfixes) and HP Ultrium 5 8-Slot Case

highlanderss
Level 2

Hello all

I'm trying to find out, where the problem could be for non functioning backups. Backups are stopping with, could not contact the tape library, or job aborted from administrator (we have set the backup to stop after couple of houres).

The Tapelibary has the following informations (drivers, infos...)

Model: 1x8 G2 AUTOLDR
Firmware: 3.50 / 2.40n
Autoloader Controller Version: LCM 1.1

BackupExec is Bex 2010 R3 with SP2 and all Hotifxes. (everything from LiveUpdate)

The interessting thing is this one, when i try to "inventory" Tape, this works, but backup jobs will not be able to start. We have also tried to make a cold reboot. Shutdown everything (server and library) and detach the power cables and replugg. After them, backups where running fine for 3 days. After this 3 days, same issue as before shutdown. We startet first the libary and waited until the library was online and then we restarted the tape.

We didn't know, what we can do. .

Any sugestions?

Greetings

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

OK, just a quick explanation...that card is capable of SAS/SATA, but the G2 autoloader only comes in SAS, SCSI or FC connection. So you have a SAS-connected autoloader.

I've checked the HP Product Bulletin and the SA P210 is not listed as a supported card...are you sure that is the model #? No mention of it on the HP site either...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Is there any error in the event log?

Is the tape drive running on the latest Symantec drivers? and the medium changer running the Microsoft drivers (which shows up as unknown in device manager?

Were you able to run backup on this library before? hope your library is compatibile refer http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137050

highlanderss
Level 2

Hello

Thank's for the fast answer. Well, what i find out is, that there's a new firmware 3.8 and i think, i will try to upgrade it.

Yes, before everything was working. Two weeks ago, problems begun.

The drivers where from symantec not hp . But version from 2008... ?!

I also tried to redoo the setup for media devices in bex.... But didn't change anything...

Realy special situation.. No informations. The best thing, when i use HP TapeTools, Drive Self Test and Connectivity Test where all ok... So for me it sounds as bex trouble.....  As many times... :(

Your link didn't work...

Greetings

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

upgrading the firmware may help > Like I suggested was the hardware copatibility guide for be 2010.

Also did you check the drivers for the medium changer?

CraigV

Hi,

I know for a fact that the autoloader is compatible as we (unfortunately) have some in our environment.

Check for any possible physical damage to the cable, and also make sure the SCSI card it is attached too doesn't have any errors.

As for the drivers, I don't expect much has been done to improve/update them since 2008...don't expect this to change anytime soon.

Thanks!

highlanderss
Level 2

Hi CraigV

Ok, so i see, you have too strange issues with this libary right?

At this time it seem's , that it's working. Two months ago our client did remove the s-ata cable when both devices where running. Since this day, i'm trying to fix it.

Now i started a new backup job and it seem's that it's working well. We wait and see...

As for the drivers -> now i downloaded from HP some drivers from 2011, and hp found 4 drivers that can be updated. So i made both things (firmware and drivers). Lets see if its working. For now, the job is running.

What are the advantages for the symantec drivers (for the libary) vs. the hp own drivers?

I think it's also ok to try with the hp drivers. The job is running now...

Greetings

CraigV

...I suspect you mean either SCSI or SAS cable.

I was happy to get rid of these devices...I found them more trouble than anything.

Is that device connected to a supported card by the way? If the client moved the cables around, they could have connected to something that was not supported.

highlanderss
Level 2

Well, the S-ATA Card is a SmartArray P210 . I think everything should be supported.. At this moment the backup is running.. :)

CraigV

OK, just a quick explanation...that card is capable of SAS/SATA, but the G2 autoloader only comes in SAS, SCSI or FC connection. So you have a SAS-connected autoloader.

I've checked the HP Product Bulletin and the SA P210 is not listed as a supported card...are you sure that is the model #? No mention of it on the HP site either...