cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BKF files

MistralCom
Level 3

Hello,

i have some .bkf file on my storage, the files were created by BE14.

I have re-installed BE14 after a crash.

When i do an inventory and catalogue on the storage, the .bkf files doesn't appere in BE console.

Same issue with BE20.

What can i do to correct this problem ?

Thanks for your help

21 REPLIES 21

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Done.

Still no file appear.

Gurvinder

where are you looking for the files ? By file, by any chance do you mean the backup sets ? A screenshot would help.
can you try to perform the catalog again after deselecting the use media based catalog and use media in sequence from Backup Exec global settings.

I see BKF files in Windows but i can't see backup sets in BackupExec console, see attachements.

"can you try to perform the catalog again after deselecting the use media based catalog and use media in sequence from Backup Exec global settings"

I don't understand what i must do

Gurvinder
The use media based catalogs and use media in sequence settings can be found at the Backup Exec button (in UI) by selecting Configuration and Settings, then clicking Backup Exec Settings > Catalog. Deselect them and rerun the catalog on the storage.

Gurvinder

Done.

Same result.

Do you have any catalog files in the catalog directory? (check this location of this from the Catalog path shown in the Catalog Settings screen referred to above).

Also - slim chance but worth checking - as per the following technote:
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100017347 Catalog jobs fail with error "The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted" or "There was no data to catalog on the backup set"

refer to solution B and check there is enough free space for the catalog where the catalogs path is located.

The catalog files list in attachement.

There is enough space on the disk where the catalog files are.

The last catalog is a sucess but still no backup sets appear in the console, see attachement

I would delete those temporary ".SM" files. What about the contents of the SRV-HYPERV-01 directory?
Also can you show a screenshot of the storage tab please?

see attachement

RogRubin
Employee

These are not the catalog files you need based on screenshots.
Looking at the catalog job log every set has this message:
"Aucun jeu de sauvegarde n'a été trouvé sur le média actuel avec l'étiquette de média "B2D005288" car celui-ci est vide."
Which i believe means:
"No Backup Set was found on the current media with the media label "B2D005288" because it is empty."

Can you explain more what happened to your server?
When you rebuilt it, did you restore anything like the BE database of catalog folder or so?

Nothing happen to the backup server, it's the same as before.

After the crash of another server, i want to restore some files but nothing appear in the storage in backupexec.

Hello,

Some other idea for my problem ?

Gurvinder

The job log does not show any sets. This is the only way to catalog the media. 
can you share the catalog section screenshot from Backup Exec settings
Launch SGMON.exe ( BE Install Path ) and select bengine, beserver and device and media and capture to file.
Run Inventory and catalog by selecting the disk storage.
When both complete then send/upload  the Inventory Job Log , Inventory Job History ( there are 2 tabs in the Job Log , save both by toggling ), catalog job log and SGMON log. We can take a look at them.

Hello,

The logs files on attachement.

Best regards

Gurvinder

not all the files were shared. Not sure why the catalog failed at the instant when it was started.
I would suggest you to catalog a single media and see how it goes. Check https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100008077  so enable the setting from registry and a new section will show up in the storage properties called media. select the B2D , right click and run catalog. Lets check how this goes.

i have catalog only one BKF like in the article you d send me.

Same result

i can open this BKF with an other software so it is not corrupted but it fail in BE

logs files in attachements

Gurvinder

not sure about the other software but there could be some problem with these files else this message would not appear - No Backup Set was found on the current media with the media label "B2D005263" because it is empty. You can try to catalog each media but if the same message appear then there is nothing much that can be cataloged. The drive on which these bkfs exist, they are fine ? no errors in system event logs ? BE returning the above message mostly implies a problem within the media. run a chkdsk or any drive check to confirm the drive is fine.