Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BKUP Exec 12.5 - Upgraded SQL2005 to 2008 - Now Backup exec dead

waxil
Level 3
 HI,

Please help.

We recently installed SQL 2008 on top of the 2005 install which BE12.5 had installed, choosing only to upgrade databases other than the BE one.
Now the 2005 Backup Exec instance of SQL2005 "SQL Server (BKUPEXEC)" will not start.
Also, if you try to do a change\remove on the 2005 SQL install from Add\remove programs, it says "Registry Enumeration Failed" and bombs out.

Can anyone help me to get this service started and BE12.5 running again?

Thanks in advance.

W
6 REPLIES 6

waxil
Level 3
Has anyone had a similar problem to this when installing SQL2008 on top of a BE12.5 server (which uses its own instance of SQL2005 - which I believe is available as an installation in a subfolder on the install media??)

I have been in touch with Symantec support, but they said I had to contact MS support to get the SQL install repaired. Surely someone else has upgraded to SQL2008 though?????

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

State the SQL Server (BKUPEXEC) on a domain Admin Account.

Hope this helps...

waxil
Level 3
 Hi Dev,

I've changed the startup account from local system to specify a domain admin account, but still the same thing happens. It says timed out waiting for a response. if you look in event viewer it says there was a problem with SQLSRVR.exe terminating abnormally - which is exactly the same issue as when using local system account.

Do you have any other potential fixes? I'm thinking a re-install of SQL2005 from the SBE12.5 media (apparantly there is a subfolder containing the correct version of 2005).

Can anyone shed any light on this issue? surely someone else must have installed SQL2008 onto their BE 12.5 box?? (i know 2008 isn't supported by BE, but we didn't upgrade, it was an alongside install and the BE SQL DB wasn't selected to be upgraded)

Cheers.
W

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
I guess you need to uninstall SQl 2008 to get your backup exec Sql instance working  as there are some issue with SQl 2005 and SQL 2008 instance cannot run on the same box

waxil
Level 3
 I'm sure I've read about developers having both 2005 & 2008 installed on their machines.. it would be stupid of Microsoft not to allow development of code and testing of code in either framework. or insist that 2 separate machines have to be used.
Surely there must be some kind of tweak?? (e.g. change the connection port from 1433 for one of the versions?) - Can anyone help with this?

waxil
Level 3
Ok, a quick update following support calls to Symantec & Microsoft;

Microsoft confirms that SQL 2005 & 2008 will not co-exist on a server.

Symantec confirms that BE12.5 will not run on 2008

BE2010 - will work on 2008, but as the installation of 12.5 SQL DB will not start, when we try to upgrade to 2010 it is highly likely to corrupt the BE database.
They recommended manually creating an DB instance on 2008 called "BKUPEXEC" and then during the upgrade to 2010, manually point it to that instance. If this should fail, then a full removal of 2010 & 12.5 including registry clean would be required before attempting to re-install again, but again using the manually created SQL 2008 instance.

I'll provide further information as we attempt this...