cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR Restore from Recovery CD Fails: "The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding."

RFinger
Level 3

I am attempting to perform a BMR restore of a Windows 2008 R2 64-bit server using the 64-bit recovery disc. The server is virtualized in an ESXi 5.0 (without Update 1) host. The Backup Exec 2012 server software is running at the latest version, Service Pack 1a, with all updates installed, on a Windows 2008 R2 64-bit server.

After selecting from last Friday's full backup, and having already inserted the tape required to do the restore, the backup will connect to the server and begin running. Trust is established, and a temporary machine name like "minint-2a9j4kx" displays in the list of servers on the Backup Exec 2012 server.

The status on the server I'm attempting to restore to shows the backup is running, but the progress stays at 0MB. Eventually the backup fails with the error, "The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding."

At that point, if I try to restart the services on the Backup Exec server, the restart process will time out with an error that the service is taking a long time to respond. If I reboot the server, the services come back, but if I try the restore again, the problem reoccurs.

3 REPLIES 3

RFinger
Level 3

An update: If I reboot the Backup Exec server fully before clicking OK to the error message on the server running the Recovery Disc, the backup proceeds and appears to complete successfully. Any ideas as to the cause?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Does it work if you test with a backup on disk instead of tape (just trying to isolate where the problem might be)

T-Dog
Level 3
I am also experiencing same problem while trying to do a BMR with BE SDR. I am using most recent backup saved on NAS and still the progress bar is not responding and the same error message pops up.