cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BU Exec 2010 unable to backup Exchange 2007 Sp1 Storage Group

rouute
Level 6

getting this error: (2 nites in a row now)

Error category    : System Errors
Error             : e0008516 - Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34070
18 REPLIES 18

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

Try the job WITHOUT Advanced Open File Option and see if you get the same error. Although AOFO is supported for use with Exchange and other DBs, it is generally advised not to use it. The reason for this is the way the snapshot is created, and how it can prevent restores...

Please post an update once done...

If this is a Windows Server 2003 server, there is a VSS Rollup Patch you can look at downloading and installing too...

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH44696

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Refer the following document

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH60696

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH63845

If the document does not resolve check for the following

Review other backup provider schedules including the Microsoft Exchange Database Maintenance Schedule to ensure that backups time frames are not conflicting.

also check the following

On the Backup Exec server and the Exchange server open the Registry Editor and add a DWORD value called MonadRpcTimeOut under the following registry key:
HKLM\Software\Symantec

Set the value of MonadRpcTimeOut value to 3600 decimal.
Restart the Backup Exec services on both the Backup Exec

rouute
Level 6

"Try the job WITHOUT Advanced Open File Option"

not set on the bu job.

CraigV

mmm...OK, then make double-sure it isn't selected under Tools --> Options --> Advanced Open File

rouute
Level 6

I havent checked all that was presented yet. I started the failed job and it is running now. I will settings when its complete. and I will bet the include sub directories is already checked.

rouute
Level 6

B. Lack of sufficient free space for the snapshot

Resolution:

To resolve the above issue ensure that there is sufficient space on the volume holding Exchange Databases.

so what constitutes a lack of free space? I have an 144 gig db on a 180 gig drive.

rouute
Level 6

double-checked - setting is not selected.

srshimpi
Level 3

To resolve this issue :-

1. To avoid this error, create a separate backup job for the Exchange Information Store that does not use AOFO.
        OR
2. If you want to use AOFO for Exchange then the Exchange VSS writer needs to be enabled. It will require a restart of the Microsoft Exchange services or else a server reboot.

CraigV

Hi,

Please take the time to read previous posts VERY carefully...you will see that I already pointed the user in the direction of splitting the jobs, and referred him to a document I wrote about how to do this!

Thanks!

rouute
Level 6

so all the settings check out. nothing is out of the ordinary. The manual restart ran fine this morning. The only other thing would be the reg setting suggested above by RahulG. Unless there are other idea's.

still have a question from one of the articles:

B. Lack of sufficient free space for the snapshot

Resolution:

To resolve the above issue ensure that there is sufficient space on the volume holding Exchange Databases.

so what constitutes a lack of free space? I have an 144 gig db on a 180 gig drive.

thanks

rouute
Level 6

I also see there is a 4 gig back-up-to-disk setting but the allocate the maximum size isnt checked. any issue with that 4 gig?  

rouute
Level 6

so made i didnt make any changes yet the backup ran successfully last.

CraigV

OK...then are there any possible maintenance tasks running at the same time as your backup?

OTS
Level 3

nope, bu starts at 11 PM and maint starts at 1 AM

(OTS = Rouute) job change

CraigV

...OK...keep an eye on it, and if it happens again, post back here.

If not, you can close off the query.

CraigV

Hi,

Did you come right here?