cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BU2D vers 9 & 11 overwrite file and fail

Paul_Molina
Level 4
This is happening at two locations: When I try to run a backup to disk using BU Exec the .bkf file is "0'd" out - ie not deleted but moved from having 120 gig to having 0 bytes, then the backup fails with a system error "Final error: 0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred."
Obviously this may be a problem with the NAS and I'm investigating separately, but it is happening on two sites using two different versions of BU Exec. Have you seen this happen before?
8 REPLIES 8

Paul_Molina
Level 4
BU Exec can create files and delete all the data, so I don't think this is a permissions problem. I also ran live update to get all the latest pieces of bu-exec and that didn't help. The device service is NOT running as the local system, so that isn't the problem either.
Any ideas?

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
Paul,
I think you are right there is something going on with the connection to the NAS box during the backup. Can you try running a backup to another system? There should be another part to the error message you received that will narrow down the problem. If it's "specified network name is no longer available" that would indicate a network issue of some kind. If it is "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service" it could be a file system problem on the NAS box-perhaps defragging the volume will help.
Let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Daniel

Michael_Gossett
Level 4
Partner Certified
I have had this happen...it was making a file named @@@@@@@@@.bkf ...Never actually wrote any data and ran for hours before error'ing and copying no data.

Paul_Molina
Level 4
I'll try again tonight, only will point at a new BU2Disk folder created on the same NAS, but in a new (additional) share.

-Paul

Paul_Molina
Level 4
OK, here is where I am at:
On vers 11 - after creating a new share on the nas and pointing a new bu2d folder at it, the bu went fine.
On vers 9 - I had done something similiar on this one, actually just deleted the .bkf files in the backup share on that nas (different location/different nas) then retired the media that those files corresponded to. The backups went ok until last night. The bu's were set to start overwriting the files last night, so that I would have a 7 day rotation. BU Exec deleted all the data in the .bkf file, then errored out. I ended up with a .bkf file with 0 bits.
This will happen on the vers 11 NAS too in 6 days when the settings allow it to start overwriting the files.
Here is the message from last night, it is slightly different from the one I was getting:
Final error: 0x40 - The specified network name is no longer available.

In version 11 I was getting this error, same exact symptoms:
V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
I am curious what happens if you manually erase the B2D file(s) before the job starts, can it then overwrite them? Does the erase complete successfully?
Again, I think it would be helpful to target the job to a completely different machine as a test to see if it's something with the NAS box or the media server.

Paul_Molina
Level 4
After runing some tests I have reason to believe it has something to do with the response time on the NAS. Thanks for the help, will post more when I know more and will direct Infrant support to this thread.

-Paul

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
Thanks for the update Paul.