cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUE 15 - SQLVDI Error

netcomvendor
Level 2

This issue began around the middle of February, 2017 on 3 or 4 of our SQL servers. It randomly occurs during our hourly incremental SQL backups. So out of 8 backups, it might happen 1-5 times a day. The BUE server shows no issues and the informational MS message on the SQL server after this error shows a successful backup. It does seem to correspond with any changes made to either server (Windows Update, BUE update, etc). I contacted Veritas and the support person said this was a Microsoft issue. However, I don't want to risk paying a support cost to MS if they deem it an issue with Veritas.

I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions on eliminating this message. The full error is shown below.

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    SQLVDI
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    1
Date:        4/3/2017
Time:        3:01:28 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    ********
Description:
SQLVDI: Loc=SignalAbort. Desc=Client initiates abort. ErrorCode=(0). Process=8556. Thread=27840. Client. Instance=MSSQLSERVER. VD=Global\"databasename"_00__24f28603_f916_42f4_a2a3_e568518033ff__SQLVDIMemoryName_0.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

2 REPLIES 2

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

have you more information about the versions?

is your sql server a physical or virtual one?

SQL-server: OS version? sql version?

bu-server: OS version? bu version?

do you receive other events regarding to sql and/or backup around the time you receive "sqlvdi"-error

are your vss-writers OK? command is: "vssadmin list writers"

The issue is happening across several virtualized servers, across multiple platforms:Windows Server 2003, 2008 SR2 and SQL versions: 2008, 2005.

Backup server is Windows 2008 R2, BUE is 2015 version 14.2 Rev. 1180.3157.

No other events other than an event immediately after the error saying the backup was successful.

VSS writers look good.

Again, this only happens, randomly, with hourly transactional backups.