cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUE 2014 - CAS down, need access to MMS

Codders
Level 4

Hi there,

We're just migrating from Veeam to Symantec BUE 2014.  We have 3 servers: 1 x CAS server (Site A); 2 x MMS servers (Site A and Site B).

Backup jobs are scheduled on Server A and duplicate to Server B.  Both servers have dedupe storage disks.

In the event of a disaster at Site A, I'll need to recover data from Server B at Site B.  However as the server is configured as a MMS server, I cannot connect to and/or control any backup/restore functions.

I've read an article about how to convert an MMS server to a Locally managed backup exec server - however after I click 'next' in the wizard to configure the server as being locally managed, I receive a window stating I need to select a SQL instance.  There is no option to select a SQL instance and so I'm wondering if indeed I'm following the correct process.

Any help and ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Danny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

These are the steps you need to follow in case your CAS is down and you want to restore from Sets on any of the MMS servers.

NOTE: In a restore scenario you may also need to run an inventory and catalog of the storage location depending on the previous catalog method that was in use when the MBES was joined to the CAS

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH202149
How to remove the Managed Backup Exec Server(MBES / MMS) option when communications have been lost to the Central Admin Server (CAS) and the option is grayed out

What catalog mode to choose from : refer http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49728

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Gurvinder

These are the steps you need to follow in case your CAS is down and you want to restore from Sets on any of the MMS servers.

NOTE: In a restore scenario you may also need to run an inventory and catalog of the storage location depending on the previous catalog method that was in use when the MBES was joined to the CAS

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH202149
How to remove the Managed Backup Exec Server(MBES / MMS) option when communications have been lost to the Central Admin Server (CAS) and the option is grayed out

What catalog mode to choose from : refer http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49728

Codders
Level 4

Hi there,

I've followed the article, however at the point where the wizard determines it cannot see the CAS server and I'm prompted to click next, I receive a message stating I must select a SQL instance.  The wizard does not give me the option to select a SQL instance and so I end up in an endless cycle.

I logged with support who said this shouldn't occur but so far no resolution.  I've since removed BUE completely from all servers, started over and tested again - I'm still unable to convert my MMS to a locally managed server using the approved process :(

Has anyone else tried this?

PS: technically speaking my CAS server isn't dead - it's switched off.  I'm trying to test our DR plans before continuing with the rollout of BUE.

VJware
Level 6

Is BE 2014 updated with SP1 prior to following the above mentioned KB ? If not, then the loop which you are describing is familiar and fixed with SP1.

Codders
Level 4

Hi VJware, yes SP1 is installed.  I have both the original ISO for BUE 2014 and also the ISO with SP1 incorporated.  The latest installed was with the ISO containing SP1.

Do the installs of the MMS servers have to be installed remotly via the CAS?  The reason I ask is that the install summary has the following issue:

Central Administration Server Option Warning
The Central Admin Server Option is installed on the Backup Exec server that you will use for centralized administration and management of other Backup Exec servers.You should also add the licenses for any other Backup Exec options that are to be supported throughout your Central Admin Server Option environment.After the Central Administration Server is installed, you can choose the Remote Install option in this setup program to install managed Backup Exec servers into your environment. You can also start Backup Exec on the Central Administration Server, and then install additional managed Backup Exec servers from there.If you are installing a managed Backup Exec server across a firewall, review the Backup Exec Administrator's Guide for additional requirements.

VJware
Level 6

The MMS installs can either be locally or remotely via the CASO.

And in regards to your original issue, PM me your case number. Thanks.

Codders
Level 4

Thanks VJware.

I've sent you a PM with the case number