Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUE 2014 - Windows 2012 DC - System?State issues

Dozer302
Level 3

Hi all,

I'm having some issues with BUE2014...

Backing up a system state on a domain controller... 

Job ended: 06 March 2015 at 14:20:43
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.

Backup- \\server1\System?State

V-79-57344-41488 - Due to one or more errors in \\ygl-hp-adc\System?State, this backup cannot be used for conversion to virtual machines, Simplified Disaster Recovery (SDR), or a complete online restore.

V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory \ and its subdirectories.

This is when using the domain admin credentials. 

Any ideas why this is happening?

Regards,

Dozer

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Dozer,

Are you using Advanced Open File Option in the job? If not, turn it on and try again.

Thanks!

Dozer302
Level 3

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, AOF is enabled and set to use MS VSS snapshot (I've tried "auto" as well).

MS Active Directory is also set to use GRT with "continue if consistency fails" being enabled.

The BUE server and the DC are all on the same domain.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

pkh
   VIP    Certified
What is the OS of the media server? To backup a Server 2012 DC, the media server needs to be on Server 2012

Dozer302
Level 3

@CraigV - the SDR partion fails as it can't backup the system state...

@pkh - Both the backup server and the DC are running Windows 2012 R2 (patched up to date)...

I get the same error backing up the secondary domain controller  - also Windows 2012 R2..

I have a test backup just to backup the System State and I've tried all sorts to get it working to no avail.

Testing the credentials shows as successful for the maind drive and the sys/state.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you do an actual backup of your disks, is it o.k.?  Likewise, is an actual backup of the system state o.k.?

Dozer302
Level 3

Hi all,

I can backup the drive ok without an issues... it only fails on the System State backup.

I'm unable to backup the system state, either as part of the whole system backup or as an individual backup job.

It fails with the same error "V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory \ and its subdirectories."

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You may need to log a formal support case for us to look into the debug logs

Omkar_Dalvi_
Level 2

Hi,

I am facing same issue. I am taking System State backup of Windows server 2012 R2

Windows server 2012 R2 is installed on different domian & Backup Exec media server is on different domain.

Error i am getting in job :

0xe0008488 - Access is denied.

Access Denied. Cannot backup directory  and its subdirectories.

I have diabled GRT option in job selection list & my job has completed successful, but with GRT option enabled it is failing.

Now i have enabled debug & waiting for debug log.

Dave_Riitano
Level 3

I too have been having the same issue.  Both servers are 2012, fully patched, BEU fully patched, Agent on DC updated, ALWAYS fails on System State with exact error as in previous posts.  Using DeDup.  All other servers fine, but any 2012 DC system state fails, for sure this is a BEU issue.  is there a resolution???

were having a similar issue. 
drives back up but the whole thing fails on the system state.

our environment is: one domain controller is server 2012. another is server 2012 r2. our backup server is server 2008, fully patched and running backup exec 2012. 

we can backup our server 2012 DC without issues. the 2012 r2 gets the dreaded failure and acess denied message listed above. backups run from a dedicated service account that is a member of administrators and domain admins. backup exec has the credentials testing good. 

ive been tweaking setting based on findings in related posts but nothing is working. my latest attempt at isolating the issue has me running just a system state backup after changing the vss provider from any to microsoft vss. fingers crossed but if anyone can lend a brain cell im all ears