cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUE15 - VMware - Completed with Exceptions

Codders
Level 4

Hi there,

I wonder if someone could assist me with a new problem I'm experiencing since upgrading from BUE2014 to BUE15.

Many of my VMware based virtual machines are now completing backups with the error 'Completed with Exceptions'.  Upon inspection I can see that the exceptions are folders such as 'C:\WINDOWS\SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION' or perhaps a seemingly random folder with a users profile folder.

I have logged a call with Symantec but as yet I have not yet received a resolution.  Advice thusfar is to go ahead and install the Remote Agent on my Virtual Machines.  However I'm not keen in doing this as the whole point of buying the V-Ray option was to enable us to perform VMDK based backups.  If I go ahead and install the Remote Agent, my understanding is that this effectivly limits me to bare metal restores, e.g., the option to restore the virtual host directly into VMware will not be possible.

Hoping someone else has seen and resolved this one.

Regards,

Danny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should install the remote agent in each VM, especially those with applications/databases, like Exchange/SQL Server. Without the remote agent you would not be able to do GRT restores of individual items. For files, you would not be able to do GRT restores without installing the remote agent. You can delay rebooting the machine after installing the remote agent but eve eventually you will need to, so it is better to plan on a reboot from the onset. Without doing a catalog, you would not be able to see the individual items

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If I go ahead and install the Remote Agent, my understanding is that this effectivly limits me to bare metal restores, e.g., the option to restore the virtual host directly into VMware will not be possible.

Not true actually. Installing the Remote Agent inside the VM is needed when it comes to GRT backups/restores and it doesn't affect the ability to directory restore the VM itself. And when you install the agent and backup via the host, you are still backing up the VM as a virtual machine, i.e. the VMDKs itself.

Codders
Level 4

Thanks VJware. 

I tend to restore to an alternate location and manually copy any restored files, at least during my testing anyway.  Hence, so far I have been able to restore individual files successfully.

Would you recommend installing the agent on all backed up resources regardless?  If so, is there a way to install the agent without having to go through a reboot?

If I install the agent, does this negate the need to run a catalog job following a VMDK backup?

Thanks,

Danny

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should install the remote agent in each VM, especially those with applications/databases, like Exchange/SQL Server. Without the remote agent you would not be able to do GRT restores of individual items. For files, you would not be able to do GRT restores without installing the remote agent. You can delay rebooting the machine after installing the remote agent but eve eventually you will need to, so it is better to plan on a reboot from the onset. Without doing a catalog, you would not be able to see the individual items