cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back UP To San Storage

Farshid_Sabokda
Level 2

Hi, I have installed Backup Exec 2015 on a VM with Windows Server 2012 R2 to back up physical and virtual machines in my environment. All Backups stored in FC LUNs directly presented to Backup Exec Server and duplicated to Tape Library. There are some physical windows servers with their own LUNs presented to them and I wonder is it possible to send their backup files direcly to presented LUNs without sending data across netwrok to Backup Exec server. Is it possible to this without installing Backup Exec locally on those servers? In that case what licenses are needed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. What you are trying to do is not possible without loading BE on the physical servers. In addition to the core BE licences for the physical servers, of you are sharing the tape library, thenyou will need the Enterprise Server Option which includes CASO and SSO. Note that accessing a tape library from your virtual media server is not supported

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. What you are trying to do is not possible without loading BE on the physical servers. In addition to the core BE licences for the physical servers, of you are sharing the tape library, thenyou will need the Enterprise Server Option which includes CASO and SSO. Note that accessing a tape library from your virtual media server is not supported

Farshid_Sabokda
Level 2

Okay. Thanks. In that case how could I do a LAN free backup. I mean to use my virtual Backup Exec sever to store backups to destination but not sending data across network. I know about SAN Transport and Hot Add but they are for VM backups. What I need is performin LAN free backups from physical servers. Another thing is I know Backup exec does not support Tape Library on VM but I managed to do that and found similar experiences on the forum.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

It would be a case of presenting LUNs from your SAN to each server for backup purposes, loading a full version of Backup Exec on each of these SAN-attached servers, and then licensing Enterprise Server Option on your main media server with SAN SSO in order to do this.

What it means is that primary backups of these servers will go to a LUN presented from your SAN on each of these servers, and the main media server with the ESO license will use SAN SSO and CASO to control access to a SAN-attached tape library. The SAN-attached tape library is crucial for this otherwise it won't be a LAN-free backup.

Read up more about it below:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO24286.html

Farshid_Sabokda
Level 2

Okay, Just to confirm you are saying there is no way other than installing local backup exec to have LAN-free backup of physical Windows servers.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes