cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back Up Exec 2014 & Flat File BU of files on SAN

aaron_Wieczorek
Level 3

Hello All,

I have installed BE2014 and was looking to make a "Copy" of files on a drive.

Here is the configuration.

Physical Host for BE2014, and additional 3.6TB of storage space for Back up to disk if needed & a Tape Library (Not configured just yet)

Windows HyperV Host 2008R2 64Bit C: Drive physical, D Drive with Guest OS, located on EqualLogic SAN

Guest OS Windows Server 2008 C: However the D: Drive where the files are located is on the SAN as well

A section of the SAN was carved out for the Files to be stored. anISCSI connection is made form teh guest to the SAN area for the D: Drive.

With BE2014 I was looking to make a "Copy" of these files for Offsite back up to tape.

The option I am told for "Full-Copy" like BE2010 no longer exists, only Full, and Incremental.

If I do either a full, or incremental back up on that drive, located on the SAN, it will change the archive bit, and in effect change EVERY FILE, and when the next scheduled snapshot on the SAN occurs, it would be catastrophic in the amount of reserved space it youd use for the snapshots. in effect filling the SAN most likely, if not, close to filling it.

With what Symantec called "Flat File BackUp" no longer existing, how would anyone back up files off a SAN (EqualLogic in this case) without wreakign havoc on the snapshots?

Any help would be great, without this option (Full-Copy) , Im kind of stuck on how to get the needed files copied off the SAN, without messing it up.

Thanks Aaron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. There is no copy function like what you want in BE.  If you want, you got to use something like Robocopy.

If the snapshots occur during backup, my guess is that whatever is doing the snapshot thinks that the files being backed up are modified.  You got to check with the SAN vendor regarding this.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can use the Modified Time method for the backups.  This method will not change the archive bit.  You can test this on a small directory before backing up the entire SAN.

aaron_Wieczorek
Level 3

I will give that a try. Thanks,

Aaron

aaron_Wieczorek
Level 3

I tested & assuming I got the job correct for "Modified Time" the resutls were increased Snap Shots size

For the Full Back Up, I used "Backup method for files (By Modified Time)" form the drop down menu.

Ran the job totaling 59Gig, and my snapshot size increased roughly 6Gig in size over a period of  2 hours.

Snap shots occur every 10 minutes for the production files, and are regularly between zero, and 250MB during business hours.

Snapshots increase by 200% during the back up job. I am pretty sure that we did not generate 500MB of changes to files on the SAN continuously over two hours to gernate the 6Gb in Snapshot total.

I will run it again during off hours to confirm, but am preetty sure

Is there a way to just "Copy" the files to a back up location wethter Disk, Tape, etc that I am not awware of in BE2014?

Thanks Aaron

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. There is no copy function like what you want in BE.  If you want, you got to use something like Robocopy.

If the snapshots occur during backup, my guess is that whatever is doing the snapshot thinks that the files being backed up are modified.  You got to check with the SAN vendor regarding this.

marcusolini
Level 5
Employee

Hi.  Quick answers for BE2014:  'One-Time Backup' for an ad-hoc Full-Copy backup.  'Duplicate Backup Job' for scheduling and integration into backup strategy.  Hope this helps.

aaron_Wieczorek
Level 3

Thanks,

I miss to old option, but since it was removed I will find another.

PKH,

I did run a test durin off hours, and there seemed to be less snapshot than expected, but not sure why it was none. I will contat EqualLogic if it becomes an issue of SAN space in the future. Thanks for your help.