cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back Up Virtual Machine - Virtual-based backup vs. Agent-based backup Choice?!

In the Symantec Backup Exec 15 Administrators Guide on page 861 you can read:

"On the Back Up Virtual Machine
dialog box, select the backup method
that you want to use for this virtual
machine, either Virtual-based backup
or Agent-based backup, and then click
Next."

everything i tried, i never get this choice :( ... what i'm doing wrong?

The selected server is correctly marked as "Windows computer (virtual machine)". In the menu "Backups", i tried to select Backup => Back Up to Disk. Now i get the "Backup Definition Properties"-Dialogue but not the expected choice... Where is the missing link to be able to make a virtual-based backup?

2 Replies

...you need to license the

...you need to license the hypervisor you're trying to access, ie. Hyper-V or VMware.

Check the BE 15 licensing guide below:

http://static.symanteccloud.com/estore/resources/en/be-2015-licensing-guide.pdf

Once done you can follow the Admin Guide to access the hypervisor appropriately and then backup the entire VMs.

Thanks!

In addition to the above,

In addition to the above, virtual-based backup options are available ONLY if you create the backup definition directly via the hypervisor (virtual host) and not via the virtual machine directly.

Create a backup job by selecting the virtual host and then select the VMs. This is a virtual-based backup. Do note, if Application GRT is enabled, the  VMs will still require the remote agent installed inside them to collect metadata.

Creating a backup job by selecting the virtual machine directly constitutes an agent-based backup.