cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back up a mapped network folder

gabrielf
Level 3
How can I back up a networked folder that I've mapped to a drive? Is there someway to back it up without installing the backup agent?

Backup Exec 12.5
Windows Server 2008

6 REPLIES 6

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
 You can do share level backups by creating a user defined selection list using the UNC of the share. This will not need the agent to be installed on the remote system,  however you will need to have installed the serial number/keycode for the remote agent for Windows onto the media server as otherwse it will say that you don't have a license.

Oh and you can't do it via a mapped drives as the map only exists to the security credentials and instance of the console user - but Backup Exec uses service and job credentials to access data which have no awareness of the mapped drive. 

mbuyukkarakas
Level 4
Hello there.

Is it possible to share level backup from storage devices like EMC NS500 / NS40 ? I tried but it's continiously asking me login credentials. My current solution is NDMP backup but I would use the share level backup .

Thanks and regards.

Colin_Weaver
You will need valid logon credentials whatever you do - however if you want to do share level backups then you will either have to disable NDMP on the EMC NAS - or change the NDMP ports on all Backup Exec servers (Media Servers and Remote Agents) so that they use something other than 10,000

Basically if Backup Exec gets an NDMP response on port 10,000 then it thinks a remote agent is presnet and tries to use the remote agent even though it is a NAS that is not running the agent. The job will then fails as the remote agent is not really there. If Backup Exec does not detect something on Port 10,000 then it will fail back to the remote agent program that is running on the media server itself and use that to attach to the share.

This leave 2 choices -
1) Disable port 10,000 on the EMC NAS by disabling NDMP.
2) Make Backup Exec us e a non-standard NDMP port so that it no longer uses 10,000

BTW backups using the Backup Exec NDMP option should be faster then trying to do share level backups of the same data,as such what are you trying to achieve by attempting to use share level backups?

mbuyukkarakas
Level 4
Thanks for your reply Colin,

My essential problem is as you said slow NDMP backup on my EMC NS40 storage. The storage and BE server are connected via FC network , That make me thinks, it should be very fast but it is not.

I dont know how to debug this problem. Do you have any idea what I should check ?

Thanks again.

Colin_Weaver
 When you say slow NDMP - do you mean using the Backup Exec NDMP option?

If yes, please outline what scenario you are using - i.e.
Is tape drive/backup destination attached to EMC or to Media Server?
Is Data being backed up on EMC or Media Server?

mbuyukkarakas
Level 4
I have a just one BE server. I use the NDMP option to backup my CIFS file systems. The tape library SL500 is connected to FC network and the storage is also attached to FC network.
The data backed up directly to tape drivers.

I hope this information is enough to describe my scenario.
Thanks.