cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back up data in Remote Storage option

WikiDonor
Level 6

Hello 

I am using BE2012 and while going through options in my backup job I found a option under files and folder menu it is called Back up data in Remote Storage option.  I read the admin guide and check help (F1) and it gave this text.

"Backs up data that has been migrated from primary storage to secondary storage. The data is not recalled to its original location. It is backed up directly to the backup media.

If this option is selected, you should not run a backup of your entire system. Backup Exec has to load the data that has been migrated to secondary storage and additional time is required for migrated data.

If this check box is cleared, only the placeholder that stores the location of the data on secondary storage is backed up, not the data itself.

This option should not be selected if the device used for secondary storage and backups contains only one drive. If there is only one drive, Remote Storage and Backup Exec compete for use of the drive"

Can any one give me any simple example of the above text because it is hard to understand.

Thank you everybody in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

So this appears to be data that is archived by Windows...data not used frequently gets moved to another disk with pointers to the original location.

BE then backs up this archived data, and what it is telling you to do effectively is not back this up as part of a normal job.

Check below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759742%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

So this appears to be data that is archived by Windows...data not used frequently gets moved to another disk with pointers to the original location.

BE then backs up this archived data, and what it is telling you to do effectively is not back this up as part of a normal job.

Check below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759742%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Thanks!